Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Front brakes keep failing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes keep failing

I have a 2007 250 recon es that the front brakes keep failing, the brake lever goes all the way to the handle bar and you can roll the quad. I don't have that many hours on this quad and have tried a couple of things. I thought it might have been the master cylinder so took it off and tested it using a plug to plug the line and the handle would move only a very little. Then I tried adjusting the brakes and that seemed to help, I could get it adjusted correctly in the garage, but after riding for a little while I lost the front brakes. Tried adjusting them again, but again after riding a little while I lost them again. There is no signs of brake fluid leaking anywhere either. I also bleed the lines to start with, so I don't think this could be an issue. Not sure what to try next, I would think if one of the brake cylinders where bad it would be leaking. Even adjusting the brakes the second time it didn't take much, maybe a click or two. What else could I try?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Thats odd, are you sure when you bled the brake lines that all of the air was removed? Any amount of air in your brake lines will result in brake issues, spongy non responsive breaks. I would bleed the brakes again, have a buddy there with you so you can work together to purge the remaining air out of your lines if that is the case. Have you physically checked the brake pads?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

Another thing would be to check the front wheel bearings. Worn out wheel bearings can cause side to side movement at the brake rotor. This can push the brake piston in enough that you have to pump the brakes a couple times to make contact with the rotor again.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

My recon has drum brakes. Try this though as it made mine much better after changing fluid and bleeding brakes. Tie a zip tie tightly around your handlebar and brake lever. Leave it on over night and take a screw driver handle and tap all the brake lines starting at the drums. This will help any air bubbles trapped to migrate to the master cylinder. Also, make sure you don't have any leaks in lines or fittings. I had to use a Mitey vac to bleed mine properly and doing the zip tie trick really firmed up the leaver by bleeding stubborn air trapped. Also, did you adjust your brake shoes per owners manual? If not, you should also do this.