Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Another carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another carb problem

hey guys before i took the carb off my recon to clean it today it would only idle with the choke off and only rev up with the choke almost fully on. so i took it off and took it completely apart and cleaned everything with stp carb spray, then i put it all back together and now when i give it gas with the choke off it dies out. It will still rev up witht the choke on but it wont stay idling no matter what. i took the carb back off to make sure everything was right and then reinstalled it, and it still runs like crap. Any suggestions on anything i might have done to cause this? Thanks guys

Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Did you mess with any of the air/fuel settings?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dirtyone55
Did you mess with any of the air/fuel settings?
i tried turning the screw after installing the carb but it just made it run worse so i put it back to original. but other than that all i did was take the carb completely apart such as jets and all, except for the floater. on one of the jets there was green gunk stuff so i cleaned it all up and put back together and now it runs way worse. i am completely lost on what to do hopefully someone can help me out.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Take it all apart and let it soak in some good carb cleaner for about a day or two. Don't put any rubber parts in the carb cleaner.

Blow and dry everything out good and put it back together and try it.

If it runs with the choke out it is lean,(not getting enough fuel). Something is still plug.

The green crap is not good!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tramp
Take it all apart and let it soak in some good carb cleaner for about a day or two. Don't put any rubber parts in the carb cleaner.

Blow and dry everything out good and put it back together and try it.

If it runs with the choke out it is lean,(not getting enough fuel). Something is still plug.

The green crap is not good!
alright thanks i currently have the jets out and everything soaking in a bowl of carb cleaner.
I have a question though, do the jets and screw sets need to be screwed or torqued a certain amount or just screwed all the way in.
Is there anything else anyone can think about that i should do or could have done wrong?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

lol now i have another problem i took all the little hoses off the carb and now im not 100% sure if i'll beable to remember where they all connect to. anyone know of any diagrams that will show where to connect them all

Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Don't soak just the jets......I mean the whole carb, submers it in carb cleaner and let soak! That green slime is thought out the carb, in the little passages and holes with the carb body.

The jets are screwed in place with alittle more than finger tight. The "screw sets", I hope you mean the air screw and the idle screw......they need to be adjusted accordingly, for how it idles. When you get it back together....screw those in till they bottom out....then turn them out about 2 to 3 turns.....a good starting point. The air jet, turn in to richen, out to lean. The idle screw turn either in or out to set the proper idle (how fast you want it to run when siting still.

Mechanic 101....."if you don't know what it does, don't f&#k with it".
Mechanic 102....."either lable it or take a picture of it before taking apart".

Think.....you will figure it out.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tramp
Don't soak just the jets......I mean the whole carb, submers it in carb cleaner and let soak! That green slime is thought out the carb, in the little passages and holes with the carb body.

The jets are screwed in place with alittle more than finger tight. The "screw sets", I hope you mean the air screw and the idle screw......they need to be adjusted accordingly, for how it idles. When you get it back together....screw those in till they bottom out....then turn them out about 2 to 3 turns.....a good starting point. The air jet, turn in to richen, out to lean. The idle screw turn either in or out to set the proper idle (how fast you want it to run when siting still.

Mechanic 101....."if you don't know what it does, don't f&#k with it".
Mechanic 102....."either lable it or take a picture of it before taking apart".

Think.....you will figure it out.
I do have the whole carb soaking. hmm by looking at pictures of the carb on the internet it shows that one of the hoses on my recon have been in the wrong spot this entire time, and last person to mess with it was the dealership, think that could be a reason it wasnt running good? interesting

Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Possibly,

Your doing good......you're now researching. That's the way we learn.

Good Job, keep at it!