Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Putting new rings in a 300ex?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Putting new rings in a 300ex?

My buddy has a 1993 300 ex that just started smoking alot and i mean alot.The delear told him the rings are gone.So we were reading the manual for it to see how to do it.How hard would it be for a couple engine newbs to put a new piston and rings or even a big bore kit in it.The only think we are not understanding is when they say dowels in the timing chain.The timing chain is the only thing that has us feeling leary about doing it our selves.And input of help would be great.Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

Easy. Get a service manual (Clymer or OEM are both good ones). You must make sure the timimg chain does not drop down into the crankcase while doing the job. If it does drop into the case, you'll be in for a huge job. Put a piece of soft wire around it and secure it out of the way to hold it up. Go for it. You'll save a ton of money and you'll get the satisfaction of DIY.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah the clymer manual is the one we have.Nuy it says something about dowels that need to be replaced in the timing chain.I don't remember having to do this when i had my 300 rebuilt years ago.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Can you scan that instruction and send it to me? I wonder if it is referring to setting the mark level with the top surface of the head in order to get the timing correct. I'll sdend you a PM with my email address.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

Still waiting on my buddy to get me the pics so i can send them to you.
Originally Posted by budedm
Can you scan that instruction and send it to me? I wonder if it is referring to setting the mark level with the top surface of the head in order to get the timing correct. I'll sdend you a PM with my email address.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dowel pins you are descibing may be the ones that hold the rocker arms in place ? But if you have good rocker arms you dont have to replace them or the dowel pins . Just a shot in the dark I hope this helps .

Old 05-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

I guess it says to cut a slice in them and pull them out and replace them what ever they are.We are still trying to diagnose what is wrong before we tear into it.When it sits for a couple hours or more it is really hard to start and will even kill the battery sometimes.And when it does start it puts out a lot of white smoke.We also think is may be a bad exhaust valve or even a needle in the carb.Any other ideas what it could be or why it is smoking that bad.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

"I guess it says to cut a slice in them and pull them out and replace them what ever they are."

Yep, those are the pins that hold the rods that hold the rocker arms in. You don't have to do those to do a ring job, only if you have worn rocker arms. They are really hard to get out. They do NOT come out as easily as the manual says "grind a notch in it and tap it with a screwdriver". Yeah, right. No way. But....you're in luck if you need to replace them because I have a tool to take the pins out I'll be glad to lend you.