Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

my 01 Rubicon finally has a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 01 Rubicon finally has a problem

Just a few hundred miles short of 12,000 miles and my Rubicon has developed an intermittent problem.

It flashed and goes into a default mode. When I extract codes it just flashes and does not flash any codes.

According the code retrieval procedures it indicates either in the gear selector circuit or the ESP shift switch circuit.

Also when I first turn the key on I can hear the motor (I'm guessing the swash plate motor) move and I don't remember hearing that before. When I turn the key on and the faullt isn't present I don't hear the motor.

Has anyone seen more problems with one or the other??

I can't believe I'm having problems already. LOL

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Man, Specta, you should take it back and demand a refund. Those Hondas are notorious for issues like this... Hope you get it rectified. I want to see some more of those drool inducing pics and videos you take out there in Utah.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told you to buy a snowmobile and let the 'ole girl rest in the winter time. (HA!)
Sorry to hear about her getting down............wish I could help.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks you guys. I rode it today and no issues. It must have heard me crying last night. LOL

I saw one just like mine but a few years newer, an '04; that was the last year of the old plastic and then they made them look like Rincons.

It was in a "how many miles on your Rubicon" thread and this guy only has 578 miles on it, I'd kill for it. LOL It still has the OE tires on it.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

What are you talking about, you do not need a new Rubicon yet. You still have plenty of seat time left on the one you have now. You are just getting her broke in.

As far as your problem, on my Rubicon, every once in a while, I would get a code 10 when I first started it and it turned out to be some kind of sensor, can't remember the name of the sensor. When I received the code, all I had to do was turn the key off and back on. There is a way to retrieve the codes but I can't remember how it is done, you did something with electric shift buttons.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

thanks angler, no codes stored.

I am surprised that it still runs as good as it does, in fact I'm just plain impressed.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For an electrical issue that comes and goes like that, I think I'd go ahead and pull the battery cables off, then take apart every electrical connector and hit them with some contact cleaner, blow dry, and pack with dielectric grease.

If I recall correctly, on the Rubicon the computer is located on the frame under the rear fender, so most of the bodywork has to come off.

If it doesn't cure it, it is still a good preventative measure.

Do you have a service manual? If not, snag one. Trying to diagnose an issue on a Rubicon without one would be pretty tough, and you will probably have that thing for another 30,000 miles or so if you take care of it.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post my 01' Rubicon finally has a problem

Originally Posted by Specta
Just a few hundred miles short of 12,000 miles and my Rubicon has developed an intermittent problem.

It flashed and goes into a default mode. When I extract codes it just flashes and does not flash any codes.

According the code retrieval procedures it indicates either in the gear selector circuit or the ESP shift switch circuit.

Also when I first turn the key on I can hear the motor (I'm guessing the swash plate motor) move and I don't remember hearing that before. When I turn the key on and the faullt isn't present I don't hear the motor.

Has anyone seen more problems with one or the other??

I can't believe I'm having problems already. LOL

Thanks.
Welcome to the forums Specta i don't have the info you need , but forum member HondaMecanic who is a Honda Factory Certified Technition will jump in when he see's this post ; he has access to the O.E.M. Honda Factory Shop manual's !

If he doesn't see your post within a few day's start a new thread like HondaMechanic need help with my 01' Rubicon ES shift problem , this may get his attention faster HondaMechanic is a real asset to the forums ; i hope you get your quad fixed without costing you much $$$ so you can get out ride for another 13,000 mile's !

williebee.......

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone and I do have a factory manual but it's in storage.

Cleaning all of the conectors is a good idea.

I have been riding a bit the last couple of days and have not experienced any troubles so a poor electricle connection make sense.

I plan on riding this until it is dead. lol

Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Could have been a glitch then. Maybe the gear lever wasn't fully in the detent and the switch didn't make contact, or something like that.

Quick Reply: my 01 Rubicon finally has a problem