Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Options for widening Sportrax

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are my options for widening my new Honda Sportrax 250? All the reviews have been great but they say it has a tendency to two wheel in the corners...I'd like to widen the front end a little make this less of an issue...What are my options? I don't want (and im positive they dont make) longer A-arms....Spacers? Wider front tires? I dont want to have heavier steering with the wider tires so I can't decide...any help would be great!

Old 03-02-2001, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

i don't think there are going to be a lot of aftermarket parts for the 250EX, such as wider axles and extended A-arms.

But you could try buying some offset wheels, and waiting for someone to make wheel spacers

Old 03-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, I'd get a shop to reverse the front wheels (requires drilling new valve holes and turning around the steel lug nut inserts) and then if it's still not wide enough, you ought to be able to find wheel spacers soon.

Old 03-02-2001, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Eventually someone will probly come out with spacers, so I'll probly go with those...Thanks for the help..

Old 03-02-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I took a close look at one last week. I am not sure, but the bolt pattern might be the same on the rear as for other Hondas. I am thinking wheel spacers might bolt on. I am not too enthusiastic about wheel spacers for myself, but my wife doesn't ride over the top. So, I don't think anything will bend. Also, the front rims might reverse with no trouble.

I bought one last wednesday, and I will be picking it up next wednesday so I will find out for sure if I can do the above mods. It really looks like a nice, well built quad. The only thing I am not too impressed with is the non adjustable shocks. I bought it for my wife, and when she sat on it, the suspension hardly moved an inch. It seems as if the quad sits kind of high. Flipping the front wheels may soften up the front suspension slightly, but I don't want it to bumpsteer too badly for her. Maybe a set of shocks with about 3" sag will be in order?

My wife really likes a twist throttle. I asked the parts desk about a kit for it, and he was like: DUH? Maybe a CR twist will fit on there somehow. Have to wait and see on that... I think Honda should make a sealed twist kit especially for the ATV's. I hate those el-cheapo aftermarket (motion pro, whirlpull, etc) ones. They always feel as though they are going to fall apart at any second. None of ours has fallen off yet, but I like a part that doesn't feel like a hunk of junk.

The other thing my wife was complaining about was the red color... She wants a rediculous purple fender set for it, I hope they NEVER-EVER make that! Maybe ONE or CEET will come out with a cool graphic kit for it soon.

The quad does look a little tippy when viewed from the front with a rider. Hopefully there will be a way to lower it somewhat, without losing all the suspension. The ground clearance and reverse will really help me a lot (so I won't have to go back and get her unstuck so often. Hopefully...)

Old 03-03-2001, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 250EX shares the same wheels as the 300EX and the 400EX therefore the bolt-pattern is the same . So go buy some wheel spacers and have fun.

Old 03-05-2001, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

EZErriicc-I've been thinking about this also. Seeing this is a kids/beginner bike, stability is an essential for these folks to have a good (safe) time. I put on standard Holeshots (20X11-9 rear and 21X7-10 front)and this lowers the bike an inch. It already has gobs of ground clearance (at least compared to other sport bikes), so this doesn't hurt and lowers the center of gravity for better cornering.

The rear tires are on the stock rims which are 9X8, and I was thinking about going to ITP T-9's which are 9X9. The rim is wider and would give 2" of added width. Plus, I think the offset (3+6) is greater than stock, which would give a couple of more inches in the rear. I run these rims on my 400 and 300EX, and definitely get 4+ additional inches of width.

Old 03-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not a beginner by any means so will putting spacers cause anything to bend? I ride pretty hard so I don't want to sacrifice durability...i like the stock tires so I will stick with them for now...thanks for the help everybody....