Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why is the Rancher 400 AT bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is the Rancher 400 AT bad?

Hello,

Been researching quads, and I really like the Rancher lineup from Honda. I really like the Rancher 400 AT. I like the styling, the fact that it's selectable 2wd/4wd, full auto, or push button shifting, and the size is just right.

I'm just wondering why so many people think it's a bad bike? It seems like a decent powerplant, and
Even if it's unpowered a little, it's still a 400. I drove a Rubicon similar year, and liked the options, just though it was too big for me. The other Ranchers are nice, but don't come in full auto, which is what I want for my gf. My only other gripe is no diff lock, but that's not the worst thing.

So I'm wondering what people don't like about them? I'm interested in them, and have been seeing them
Priced decently, I just really want a yellow one lol.

Any information, good/bad would be appreciated. Looking for a bike that can plow snow, light yard work and mostly rec trails, no mud holes or extreme stuff

Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Most people don,t like the AT because it don,t have an low range and honda had problems with the clutch systems .....it just depends on how you are going to use it,just leave stock size tires and wheels on it.oversized wheels and tires seem to put extra stress on the shifting.IMO. good luck.....

Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

No low gear? I would have never guessed that, when I sunk my outlander in like 5 feet of water a rancher is what towed me back home. The dry weight is around 650 pounds, with the wet weight and me on it to steer, were talkin that rancher towing upwards of 800 pounds over severely bumpy, muddy tundra terrain for 5 miles. It certainly raised my views of Honda.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 PM
The Facility

The 400AT wasn't really a "bad" machine, but it was definitely the sour apple of any of Honda's ATVs in the past decade. The Hondamatic in the 400AT wasn't nearly as reliable as the one found in other Hondamatic ATVs. And it wasn't a great selling machine because of it's ridiculous price tag for a 400cc 4x4.
Honda is seeing the same thing right now with the 420AT. It's a much improved machine over the old 400AT, but it's still their slowest moving full size ATV on the showroom. I look for the 420AT to disappear like the 400AT did.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

We bought a new 09 Rancher 420 FPA machine last fall and just love it. Just like you we do not push the extreme use like some on this board. Trail riding, farm work, etc. Wife will only drive it now because of the power steering. Transmission has worked great so far. The IRA axle is a great addition.

The old 350 rancher feels like the neglected step child because the 09 is always grabbed first.

I'm surprised at the comment about it being the poorest sale for Honda. A close friend who has rebounded from breast cancer surgery had a difficult time locating a similar machine last month. It took a couple of weeks of calling and searching to find one that was not green. Dealer told her that they can't keep them in stock.

Also, I will admit that we passed on the original Rancher 400 AT back in 2005. It really seemed to be an underpowered machine when we test drove it. But this 420 seems much better.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

i previosly owned a 400 at with the gps system but it just didnt have the power or pushing ability i put in food plots and it had a hard time pulling a plot master and other atv tools i also used it to plow snow and it struggled to push piles and wet stuff also had problems with the hondamatic time and time again
and i was always the guy left in the dust with the impressive top speed of about 38 mph when a kodiak 400 would run 55 or better so i just sold it and bought a polaris sportsman 850 xp and love it there it nothing it cant do its fast and has a ton of power and also u cant forget the smooth ride of a 4 wheel independent suspension over straight axel any day but i have no issues with honda but i love my polaris

Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

My wife drives an '04 400AT and loves it! We have over 3000 miles on it and no problems with the Hondamaic. Just keep it serviced regularly and it won't be a problem. She hauls our yard cart around with it, rides in the mountains, creeks and lite mud (she's not a mudder). I have 26" Swamplite Reptiles on it and see no significant lose of power. I'm actually lookin for one for my son's girlfriend.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Dood get a rancher beat it like a red headed step child I'd put that rancher AT against any other make or model for reliability any day.. just don't put 40 inch tires on it or try to pull down red woods you'll be fine!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer

I had a 2004 400AT GPScape and was very disappointed with it, the hondamatic in a 400cc machine was not a good match. My friend has a 350 ES Rancher and it would run circles around it. In AT mode it never seemed like it was in the right gear at the right time, in ES mode it was a little better but seemed like the engine was going to fly apart when going up hills. It also had problems with the rear crank seal going out of it and constantly leaking oil, Honda replaced 2 under warranty and I replaced 1 seal before finally disabling the pull starter and machining a plug and pressing it into the case. I didn’t go through any water or deep mud, there was a misalignment between the outer case cover and crank. The 400AT was a nice looking quad and fine for tooling around in the yard but just didn’t serve very well in the mountains for deer hunting. I replaced it with a 450 Foreman S and couldn’t be happier.