Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

02 Rancher ES Revving in Neutral???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Rancher ES Revving in Neutral???

Hello,

Same 02 Rancher I posted about with the metal grinding noise, has another problem. Apparently it's revving in neutral badly (no pressing the throttle), and you can't get it into gear. Is this familiar? My friend had to turn the bike off, and push it. We initally though a sticky throttle cable, but that's not the case. It sounds like an electrical problem, the angle sensor thing comes up a lot with the threads I found with similar problems. Just wondering what you guys are thinking could be a problem? It's a kinda dangerous problem, and very annoying. Also if you guys can tell me where this angle sensor is, and how easy it is to remove and clean? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone?

My cousin reported putting the choke on helped it. I'm now wondering if it's a mechanical problem? If the throttle is sticking, or something like that?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Somthing is causing the bike to idle up.... causing the gear grinding you are getting....
On a 04 400 rancher there is a black plastic cover on the right side of the carb. that the throttle cable goes in. it can become filled with mud and dirt and cause the idle to go up causing this problem... if you cant slow the speed down check all the MECHANICAL carb connections before assuming it is ele.
and as usual water proof all ele. connections to prevent OTHER PROBLEMS.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by polymite
Somthing is causing the bike to idle up.... causing the gear grinding you are getting....
On a 04 400 rancher there is a black plastic cover on the right side of the carb. that the throttle cable goes in. it can become filled with mud and dirt and cause the idle to go up causing this problem... if you cant slow the speed down check all the MECHANICAL carb connections before assuming it is ele.
and as usual water proof all ele. connections to prevent OTHER PROBLEMS.
The metal grinding noise was a bad bearing in the rear, which is being resolved. I apologize again for not getting the whole story. Apparently, even with the throttle not touched at all, the bike will just rev up on it's own in any gear or neutral. I though it was in neutral, but apparently it's in gear too, which is obviously extremely dangerous. My cousin said he was holding the bike with the brakes applied, and eventually turned it off. He did say as soon as he pulled the choke up it slowed it down, and it was ok. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something small, I was looking for the throttle cable on the carb, but wasn't sure which one it was.