Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

86' Trx200Sx will not run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86' Trx200Sx will not run?

Good spark, getting gas, compression is fine. I thought those were the 3 basic components to running?

Uh.. so a few things, hmm.

Battery is K.O. it is currently still hooked though (did run without it)
I did manage to get it to sputter once or twice, but no actual running.
Just rebuilt the top end (rather I should say replaced the rings). All the parts were cleaned and all the gaskets\seals checked. We had to loosen the exhaust valve (rust?) and after a few sprays the lube.. and a tap with a hammer it worked just fine. Had a major headache with spark earlier.. I read that the keys are known to cause this.. tore that off wired it directly. No spark.. then I read that if it's in reverse there will be no spark... I then remembered that I had just put the reverse pull back on and knocked the shifter with my knee.. popped the shifter up insta'-spark. Now I have spark, compression, and gas.. However, it still will not run! If the reverse stopper is stuck up will it not run? (I didn't check that) Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to re-adjust the valves since I had it all apart?

(For those who would like to know the R/Y Striped wire and the Red wire = ON)

I greatly appreciate any help.. this thing ran like a tank before the rings K.O.'d on me.. now I can't get it to run at all.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Did you get the timing chain back on right?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Piston to the top, align the the two little -'s. Should be in time.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Piston on top of compression stroke, not exhaust stroke. Maybe you are 180 degrees out. Just a thought. The symptoms of that would be just like you are describing. You get spark and every once in a while it will sputter.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not actually sure how to determine that part? How would I be able to determine that exactly?

Also, after thinking about my valve problem from previous attempts it appears that if I squirt oil in there that it sputters more.. I'm thinking it didn't re-seat.

EDIT- IT RAN! After a few squirts of oil and some patience I got it running! The valve isn't sealing properly, just needs to be worked and all should be well! It's only running for a couple of minutes at a time though.. I know it's getting gas.. but it won't stay running. ><;

Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

After a couple hours of testing.. and having it fall on me.. ><;. It runs! Valve was definitely stuck.. but now I need to adjust the carb.. it appears that the fuel is too rich? I can really smell it when it's running. My plug may also be bad with the small backfires I'm getting.

Any thoughts? Thanks for answering my previous question btw!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, carb was cleaned, everything appears to be working nicely, but it still will not stay running! I did manage to ride it around though.. I warmed the engine rode it smoothly.. However, no matter what I do I have to be giving it gas to keep it running. The bike will not idle.. could this be caused by the spark plug?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, after a lot of tinkering the only thing I can assume is that this thing is still out of time, can anyone send me the proper way to time this thing? I would really appreciate it.. Carb cleaned. I know for sure it's getting gas. Spark is good! Tested over and over! Compression tested with a meter it's well over the required! This thing has to be out of time! Now on to what I did with it.. The valves are not sticking anymore (Double checked!), but we did not mess with the them after I put the engine back together. (They're are same as when I tore it apart.. Could this be the problem?) We aligned the two -'s with the head, but did not check the ignition timing (assumed it was right.) We also just put the chain tightener on AFTER with put the cam chain on.. Would this knock the timing out just a tad? I really just do not have the money to shell out for a manual for this thing right now.. so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

i wish i could help u with this timing issue when i rebuilt my taotao i got it first try but i see if u have it a bit off how much it throws it out.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

SUCCESS AT LAST! Besides needing a new plug, and being 24 yrs old! This beast lives again! The timing was out by 1 tooth. The timing chain tightener did it. Compression stroke, Piston to the top. On the back bearing there's a little arrow. You have to align the small hole in the in the middle of the two bigger holes with the center of this arrow. Which make the -'s level with the head. Pit all the bolts back in and tighten them down and you're good to go!

My old plastics are a bit.. Uh.. OLD. So.. I'll probably try and find some.. the seat is worn. It needs 4 new tires; those ones are the originals! And probably new bearings all around. Easy, easy. It does run wicked smooth though. We opted the cable from the foot brake bar out and used a metal bar instead. I mean it's old, and I'm sure the cables are too. I'd prefer it not to snap on me. I do wonder if anyone knows where I can pick-up the plastics for these, and possibly a new starter. I wouldn't mind fixing that too. It starts first pull ice cold now.. Not that it's a problem.