Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Sunk my New 2011 Honda Rincon.. Dam water everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a good link on what to do with a drowed ATV, MudInMyBlood Forums Recovering a Sunk Quad just click on twin or single cylinder.

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

That's what happens when alcohol builds your confidence.

Old 12-21-2010 | 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whether there will be major damage depends on how much water got in the cylinder and how fast, and also if clean water got into the crankcase or if it was full of silt.

A lot of water in the cylinder will halt the piston mid-stroke where there isn't that much force from the crankshaft. Just a little more than combustion chamber full of water will halt the piston close to top dead center, and as the piston gets closer to top dead center the mechanical advantage of the inertia of the crank shaft and rotating parts becomes much greater. That's where you bend connecting rods.

If you got grit into the engine, in my experience no amount of flushing will remove all of it, and it will eat rings and bearings until it is completely taken down for cleaning and the oil cooler is replaced.

Hopefully you just got a big shot of fresh water, and if the machine is running good I'd leave well enough alone.

Old 12-21-2010 | 07:04 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Grizzly 700

My brother and I were out four wheeling this summer with a guy who had just gotten a new grizzly 700...being that he had not been where we were riding he wanted pointed toward the big mud holes. He went through the first one and sunk the exhaust under water, panicked and hit the kill switch. Water went in the muffler and when we got him pulled out it was hydrolocked...I had to pull him with my quad to get it unlocked and then tug him back to the truck. At one point in the trip back to the truck I was heading up a hill with all four tires spinning and just sliding side to side going nowhere. He changed the oil five times and still heads right for all the water holes.
Mudslinger2

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:00 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the inputs,, I hope my quad will be ok. Looks like it.. I've road it since then, it runs and sounds great. I think the water was ok,, wasn't black, muddy water that's for sure. At the same time tho,, I was drinking. Geeeezzzzz... If it helps too,, I put my New Uni filter on that day lol! So it was filtered pretty good! I got a Snorkel on the way. That should have been first on the list b4 my rims n tires and Lift Kit!

By the way,, DynaTek CDI Box for the Rincon 680 worth the $$$??? Anyone tried them b4?

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:29 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Here is a good link on what to do with a drowed ATV, MudInMyBlood Forums Recovering a Sunk Quad just click on twin or single cylinder.

Good Stuff,,, Only thing i did differantly,, is i didnt use seafoam,, and i did run the bike for several mins , B4 thinking that there may be water in the oil.