Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Message from Polaris owner--I should have bought a 400ex sooner!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't worry about quadfather and tim1 they're just bitter, glad you saw the light - red is the only color to go with!!!!!

Old 03-09-2001, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Go to the sport atv section to read my review of the Cannondale I rode a couple hours ago.

I raved about how much better the 400ex did compared to the Polaris. I now feel the same about the Cannondale compared to the 400ex. I would much rather have a Cannondale than the 400ex! If the Cannondale proves to be reliable the 400ex is toast! I can't wait to read what the mags say about the Cannondale and to talk with owners that have put the machine thru its paces and abused it at the MX or hare scramble course.

Check out my post in the sport atv section. I go into much more detail.

Have fun.

Paul

Old 03-09-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

I am not bitter at all, just giving a little ribbing back to the Honda thread, god knows we (Polaris owners) get plenty in our thread. Actually, I've been scouting around for a 400EX, there have been some great buys on used ones lately, mainly due to the over rated Raptor. I kinda miss the manual clutch setup, but would not get rid of my Polaris, it has been a great machine for me.

Rancheres: Don't you like the yellow ones?

Old 03-09-2001, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Your problem is you can't make up your mind.
One minute polaris rules, next honda, now cannondale...what are you going through some type of mid life crisis.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 03-10-2001, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Imagine eating only Spam for a few years then one day eating a nice hamburger. Wow what a difference. Then 1 week later you get to eat a prime rib. You get used to the Spam and don't realize what crap it is until you try the good stuff.

I am very excited about quads and motorsports in general. I didn't have the money for them until the last couple of years. I guess I am trying to make up for lost time!

Paul

Old 03-10-2001, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Yes this is an expensive hobby (obsession) isnt it!!!

Old 03-10-2001, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

paulrn,
I read what you wrote about the C-Dale. If I were you I would wait two or three yrs until they get the bugs worked out, I am sure they are going to have plenty.

You made a great choice in the 400ex. It is a great bike, and will get you through the woods very quickly. As far as the Polaris is concerned, it is a good bike also(notice I said good, not great). I'm sure you have noticed how much the wieght of the two makes them differ soo much, this makes the handling on the 400ex even more present.

I noticed some people talking about the 4x4 system of the Scambler. Well, I ride with two 4x4 Scramblers and I go everywhere they do, all you have to do is...size up the obsticle or muddy hill...make a plan of attack......... and go for it! I'm sure there are a few cases where the 4x4 might help, but it would be like reverse, if you think ahead you won't need it.

Tim 1 said "when your up to your knees in mud you will miss your 4x4 button". Well, all I have to say is, if you are "up to your knees in mud" a 4x4 won't help either! 4x4's get stuck also, they just get stuck deeper!

Old 03-10-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Your not serious that a 2wd will go most place a 4wd will when 4wd drive is needed? Can a 2wd drive truck also follow a 4wd truck.Take a look at at my snow pictures and imagine a 2wd in there trying to follow along. A 4x4 can have a very good chance in knee high mud but a 2wd will have no chance no matter what it,s "plan of attack" is. I'm sorry it's just the law a physics that any 4wd will go more places than any 2wd can and that goes for cars,trucks and quads.

That would be a good topic to post "CAN A 2WD GO WHERE 4WD CAN?" there is a lot of people out there with stories that will bust that bubble.

Old 03-10-2001, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome aboard

Old 03-10-2001, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

when he was saying a 2 wheel drive would go through as much mud he noted it would as long as he has momentum! it is that much lighter and so it would skim across. i have witnessed a sportsman get burried while 2 warriors drove around him in circles picking on him. yeah when you are out looking for a mud hole the 4*4 will win especially when you are going slow and you need to back up. but as long as you keep going you will prob make it considering the hole isnt too big....but hey what fun is it if you cant get stuck!!

Quick Reply: Message from Polaris owner--I should have bought a 400ex sooner!!