Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP! My 250r is leaking coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 86 250r and for some reason, it's leaking coolant right under the water pump. There's a small round hole just under the pump and it's dripping. It seems to drip more when it's running. What is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2001, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Bartman, that is called your "checkhole". What is happeninig is your seal is going bad. Water seeps past the seal, then out the hole. That seal has two jobs, one is to keep the water in, and the other is to keep your oil in the transmission. One of the leading causes waterpump seal failure is useing antifreeze for autos, there really is a difference, most auto coolants are high in silicants (same thing as sandblasting sand but finer), its intended to help scrub off the build-up and scald on the block and radiator. An autos waterpump seal can withstand the silicates, but a motorcycle or quads more delicate seal gets wore away prematurely. Best bet is when you replace the seal, use Hondaline coolant, its premixed and ready to go and no silicates. I'm a die-hard Kawasaki person, and the only oil that goes into my 4 strokes is Hondaline GN 4, and HP2 for the 2 stroke, and Hondaline coolant in all of them. Some may dissagree with me on this subject, especially on price, but for an extra dollar or two, my quads and bikes are worth it. Just my opinion, take care, Bryan

Old 03-09-2001, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your mechanical seal is bad. You'll need to take the clutch cover completely off to change it. It's not hard to do. You should be able to replace it your self. GOOD LUCK!!!