Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

440EX vs Raptor/Banshee in Dragrace

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did any of you guys see the magazine that had the shootout. I beleave they said the 400ex won. It had the fastest track and woods times. I ride with a stock raptor and a highly modded banshee. THe banshee will take everything once it get;s going. The raptor wins if traction is a issue. BUt in a short drag my 400ex that only has bolt on mods takes the banshee cause it spins so much. But by no means can i stay with it once he gets going.

Old 03-19-2001, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

Quote from crday98
"oh please,compare the a 400 ex to a warrior or scrambler?i owned a warrior and ate a scrambler 500 for supper on my stock 400 ex.they aren't in near the same class."

Thats funny, The motors are in almost the same class.. Like I said, The 400ex is a fast bike, But it DOES fall into this class, Classification is not how fast a bike is, Its determined by the CC (size) of the motor,along with a few other specs, such as if it is stock or not. I have never seen a race class that was called the "60-100mph class"

Another quote from crday98
"it is by no means an atv superbike like the raptor or banshee?then why does a modified 400 ex always win shootouts vs. these large displacement quads?"

A modified 400ex wins against banshee's and raptors??? Hmmm, Maybe I am being ignorant, But I am a firm believer in, If I havent seen it, It hasnt happend. Show me a 400ex with the original block and cylinder that will win against either of these atv's.

Yet another quote
"well if you put the price difference worth of mods into a 400 ex then you are spending the same amount of $$$ for a better quad!!"

OK, Just to make if fun, Why dont we say that you have to keep your budget under that of a brand new banshee (no?? how about under the raptors price)? Ok I am done with the quotes

You stated that I thought displacement was everything, Well I dont, But as anyone who knows anything about engines will tell you, In direct motor to motor comparessment displacement is one of the most important factors in the limitations of a motor. A 200cc motor on nitro with every possible mod, Will NOT beat a properly built 1600cc motor. Its simple math man, each cc can only build so much torque. Put a 250r up against my banshee? Sure why not, I like roosting people.. Im not saying that I will win every race, Heck, If they are a pro class rider, they may even win a few.. Dont get me wrong here, the 400ex is a fast for what it is, And in a 50 yard drag, It stands a very good chance of winning, But in an all out 1/4 mile or even in trail riding, or MX racing, It is still not very comparable to the larger displacement ATV's. So you ask Do I know what I am talking about?? Well yes and no, I am not the most acclaimed expert out there, I am only voicing my opinion, You think I am wrong, Then I guess I am wrong, But thats alright, I will be wrong 10 minutes before you, waiting at the finish line. BTW. I have raced some pretty modded (race) 400ex's on many occasions, Everytime the 400ex'r is completely astonished that my STOCK banshee whooped them that bad.. Have you ever actually rode with a banshee or raptor??

Old 03-19-2001, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

dig out a couple of back issues of dirtwheels,4 wheel atv action or the new issue of atv sport to see the results of the shootouts.you are one of the typical "my quad is the fastest in the world and there isn't one better than mine" and "i am one of the best riders on the planet"type...you can't accept the fact that a little 400 cc quad can run with or beat your idea of massive displacement quads.yeah, i was a thickheaded yamaha lover too,until i had seen the 400 ex in action.i'm not taking anything away from the raptor or banshee,they are not bad quads but do you think after 20 years yamaha could improve their air box & chain adjustment set up?yes, the top speed may be higher than a 400 ex but i'm not into dragracing too much,if i was, i would have a race car and not a quad.quads are for racing on a track,jumping,recreation,hillclimbing,etc.when it comes to the track,the 400 ex and the 250r are better than anything else out there.top speed isn't really an issue when it comes to the purpose of an atv.have you ridden a 400 ex?i rode plenty of banshees with & without mods and they don't compare to my 440 ex even when it was stock.i beat a piped banshee(and yes my friend can ride)with my ex (with only a pipe and filter)in a 1/4 mile drag.as for the raptor,no i did not ride one but i have a friend who has both and he likes the handling of his ex better.the only advantage over his ex is a little more top speed and he is a little more confident when hillclimbing(not worth the extra $1600)he can still climb everything with both!!this is the typical on-going battle,every time a manafacturer introduces a new atv ,someone has to try cut down "what was the s#*t and still is"so i guess i will see you here crying about the 650 ex in a year or so.have a nice day!!!

Old 03-20-2001, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

I do not need to read a magazine to form my own opinion, thanks anyways. Top speed do not matter much? Hmm, Sounds like you ride slow.

Old 03-20-2001, 04:42 AM
Trailblazer

"top speed do not matter much"watchin too many Tarzan movies lately???lol,JUST KIDDING!yes,you don't need magazines to form your opinion but i would take into consideration the proven fact over your useless opinion if i was looking to buy the better quad...oh thats right, you are right and all of the pros that test these quads in the shootouts are wrong!!!lets not forget,you are in the honda forum.you never said "on my opinion the banshee and the raptor are better than a 440ex".nobody here said these quads were all in the same "cc class"the post is titled "440ex vs raptor/banshee in a dragrace"you came here complaining "i would like to know what makes you guys think these bikes are in the same class"who said anything about "cc's"?you also stated "the 400 ex is by no means an atv superbike"!is that your opinion or fact?or is it true because you said so?you must be right and the rest of the atv world is wrong!!as for how fast i ride,i would fly out there tomorrow to see you going around an atv track(other than flat track) doing 70+ mph.but as great as you talk,i mean as great as you are,i'm sure you can...i guess i should just quit and kneel down to the"freak"because you are so great!!!

Old 03-20-2001, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

for those of you who go to drag stiprs to race your quads, take a video camera or digi/film cam and get the pics on the net of the times and the wuad makin the time so we can believe you!

Old 03-20-2001, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

What are you talking about... a 440 is faster that stock raptors, raptors are faster than banshees. I have a 426 with cam, wb rev box,and 10:1 compression piston and I have beaten a stock banshee and that was by two 1/2 to three qaud lengths. I beat a raptor but that was on snow and he modded it before a rematch.

Old 03-21-2001, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, You seem to not be understanding what I was trying to say.. Looking at race classes, The 400ex does not fall into the same catagories as a 660 raptor. It would be unfair for the race organizations to put these 2 ATV's in the same class. The 400ex is at the top of its class, I am just saying that its class is not the same as the raptor or banshee's. It does extremely good for what it is, But realistically it is no match for any of the bigger bore, high HP bikes out there. I was simply trying to ask why everyone feels the need to compare these bikes in the same class? Dont think my opinion is very good? Go read some magazines (since you like them so much ) they will even agree with me that 400ex has a small underpowered motor compared to the rest. Since the topic is drag racing, I figured this would be one of the concerns. As for my speeds, No 70mph is faster than my average speed, But I do get up to 70+ mph on trails..

Old 03-21-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't relize that this topic would get so much attention. Firts of I do ride trails and that is mainly what I bought the 400EX for. But I still plan on modding it. But, I thing this will become a project. I will race some sand drags but I will run it on the pavment and post time slips. Honestly I do not know the ET or MPH but if I post some hard evidence (time slips) we may know the truth, for my EX, I admit others EX's might be faster, I have raced 5.0 Mustangs and some are faster that others stock or with the same mods.

Old 03-21-2001, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I believe that they dynoed either Yokley or Ballance's motor and found that it made 38hp. So, I guess that somehow those boys managed to whip up on all those "High HP" Quads on their puny little 250R's. This argument amazes me, like going 70mph through a stupid cornfield means jack squat. I would say that the average gear used in MX and woods riding is 3rd/4th. Thus, a 70mph top speed wouldn't mean much. It's how quick you can get back on the throttle through corners, how fast you can navigate through tight trees, how well it jumps, etc... it's handling. If I could pull the Raptor motor out of the Yamaha frame and slap it in my Honda Frame, well, we might be on to something. I don't care for the way the Raptor handles, for my taste so I'll take the Honda. If people want to tell me that my Honda is in a "lesser class" of machine, that's fine. I guess that means they have more to feel bad about if I cross the finish line ahead of them. One thing I've learned in my years of riding, fast riders make the machine they are on fast, doesn't much matter what it is. I'd bet that Penland could outrun the majority of people in this forum on his utility quad in a woods race.

Quick Reply: 440EX vs Raptor/Banshee in Dragrace