Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex starting questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex starting questions

I recently acquired several junked out 300ex's and 250x's. I have been having some problems with the starting on the 300exs. One the first one I put together, everything is put together and seems to be in working order. Since these were years old and sitting in garages not running, I bought some new EMGO ignition coils, plugs, filters, all that stuff. I plugged the new coil in and it started cranking, but didnt seem to fire. I took the cap off the plug, put in a spare plug and tested to see if it was sparking. There was nothing. It had spark with the old coil for a bit. I dont know what else to look for.

On the second one I have started. I have all the wiring put together correctly plugged in. OR so I think. The only way it cranks over is when we jump the relay. The started button doesnt work. Even when we do jump the relay there is no spark. Is the cdi box shot? I dont know if that has anything to do with the starting/firing or what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to answer any questions if you have them.

thanks much!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

ok update. I just fixed the problem with the first 300ex mentioned. One of the wires wasnt plugged into the cdi box all the way. That one is taken care of.

Now the second one. I swapped out all of the wiring harness for another one that i had. Now I want to make sure I have everything plugged in. ignition key is plugged in. lights are plugged in. I plugged in the two wires that go into the clutch pertch. ( I totally forgot about those before) The two black boxes are plugged in, all the wires are plugged into their color cordinated spots. The only thing that I dont have plugged in is the rear light because I dont have the wiring harness for that. I hooked up a trickle charger to the battery and I have power to the light in front, the neutral light, im assuming the reverse light works as well but i dont know yet cuz i dont have the reverse cable installed. Noww......... the starter button still wont engage anything, and when i jump the relay, there is one spark and then it just sits there and cranks real hard. I have double and tripled checked all connections and checked for cracks or stuff like that. So here I sit wondering what the hell is going on and that someone on here knows/has experienced/can point me in the right direction. It seems like im so close yet so far away!!!

Ideas?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

No one has any ideas?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250x help?

Hi my name is chris. I am new to this site and really have no idea what i am doing. Anyways on to my question. I have a 1987 250x motor that I put into my 1991 250x frame after wrecking my '87. Due to my parents divorce it has been sitting a while. I have finally got it back into my possesion and started to work on it agian. The motor ran perfect before removing it from the wrecked '87. I have put everything in its correct place using my brothers as kind of a example to go off of. I have cleaned the carb and put fresh fuel in it and cleaned the petcock on the tank. Now heres my problem I can place my hand over the back of the carb and it will fire but then idle high and die out it is completly stock as far as i know. I have tried everything i can think of is there something i am missing? I have also tried pull starting it and it will fire but also die out right away. I am at a loss. I am starting to regert getting rid of my 250r and 450r. I am a high school student with a full time job and have limited time to work on it but i like to do my own work. Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Thanks,Chris L