Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Drowning the Beast

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm new to ATVs and haven't done this (yet) but I was thinking about it. Many of the water holes I've gone through are decieving. It's hard to tell just how deep they are. Sooner or later I'm going to find one that's deeper than it looks and I'll end up uttering those famous last words "OH S**T!" What's the best way to dry out an engine after drowning the beast and get going again when out on a trail?

Old 03-15-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hard to respond without knowing how familiar you are with gasoline engine operation, RichardB.

A submerged engine usually dies because water enters the carburetor air intake. If the water only produces an incombustible mixture, no serious or long-term problem: once above the waterline, the carburetor can again mix fuel and air and the engine can run again. However, if quantities of liquid are ingested into the engine, hydrostatic lock, when the piston attempts to compress an incompressible fluid, can cause grave damage. The spark plug must be removed and all raw liquid pumped from the cylinder in these cases.

Another problem with being submerged is contamination of fluid reservoirs--water can enter the crankcase, transmission, rear drive gears, front differential, etc., etc., through breather hoses and vents, if an ATV remains submerged. All fluid must be drained and replaced as soon as possible after water intrusion to prevent damage.

Electrical systems can be deadlined from moisture and must be dried to function; some belt drives slip when wet.

Generally, if you can keep your carb air intake above water, you can survive brief dunkings.

My advice: Go for it!

Diogenes

Old 03-15-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

A good thing to remember if your goal is not to get it too deep into water, (or maybe thin mud) go where the water ripples.

Old 03-15-2001, 06:11 PM
jbv
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a lot of experience with ATV engines, but I have a lot with large industrial size ones, and they work on the same concept. My advice would be to yank the spark plug out, dry it off really good. You may also need to clean it up with a wire brush if one is handy. Then, use the starter to turn the engine over, while the plugs are out, and thus exit any moisture with extreme prejudice. Put your plug back in, and it should be good to go. Also, you could possibly get water into the crackcase through any breathers or vents. You'll be able to tell by looking at the oil after the engine has run some. If it looks milky, you have water. Or if the engine has been sitting for awhile, check the oil, and if there is a lot more on the stick than there should be, you might have water in there. Change the oil. Condidering that the water that entered the cranckcase probably isn't clean, your best bet would be not to run the engine at all until you can change the oil. Actually, if you get a bunch of dirty water in there, you probably want to change it, run the engine for a little while only, and change it again.

JBV

Old 03-15-2001, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks all!

Okay, I think I have it now. 1. get it out of the water, 2. pull the plug and dry it off, 3. crank it over to purge water in the cylinder, 4. check the air box and carb for water and clean if necessary, 5. check the oil, 6. put the plug back in, and 7. pray. If all that fails, double check the insurance policy and leave it overnight by the local mini-mart.

(just kidding on the last part ;-)

Thanks again,

Richard B.