Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Electric Shift (ES) Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the fix

Had code 22 went to Honda got an angle sensor replaced with no luck. Then pulled shift motor apart after reading your post now back in business.. I love it when maintenance fixes problems over dollars. Shows that it's a good machine and less likely to be stranded if I carry the right tools!

Old 10-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Many Thanks

This worked on my '05 Rancher 350, shifting was weak before & would hang up. There was a ton of carbon buildup inside the shift motor. As the instructions say, the hardest part is getting the motor back together, I had my son help me hold the parts & we got it. Now it shifts like new. Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you!!

This worked perfectly! I have an 06 Honda Foreman 500es.

Just get it as clean as possible and take your time putting it back together. I had to make a little tab out of some scrap sheet metal to hold back the brushes to reinsert it back into the housing. It works like new!

Old 02-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carbon build up observation. Huge thanks!

my 2003 Foreman started the 5 blink craziness the other day after doing some work at the hunting club. So in researching I ran across this thread. Never one to break into a motor I thought this guy breaks it down so nice I'll try. Nothing to lose🤙🏼
Anyway pulled shifter motor off, emptied water, and took forever to reload the Springs and magnets. Super cleaned with carb cleaner! The armature was bright and shiny. All carbon gone. Used Cooper cleaner on contacts. Had to told my tongue just right on those Springs and brushes. Got it seated nice and snug and works better now than ever! Big thanks for this feed! Saved me a motor, or sensor, or ECU.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hope some one here can help me out , I have a fourtrax es 350 year 2000 I baught of a friend , the electric shift has stop working it started by sometime working now nutting , after all the comments iv seen online , so first think I baught was a angel sensor and problem was still their so I tuck apart the electric **** and cleaned all the carbon out of it and tested it of a battery and works , I put it all back togeather and still no shifting littealy nutting , when I got the quad the fan woulding work so I wired a switch to the fan from the battery and iv noticed if I leave the quad for 1 week I would have to charge the battery that it would be dead I can't get my head around y it won't shift any knowledge would be great thanks gary.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Something else you might try to polish the commutator with is a small cratex polishing wheel, they look like an eraser and in my slot car days we also used pencil erasers to polish the comm. If your using sand paper do not use anything more course than 800 grit and finer if possible.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Seems like you have a few problems, first check if the bike is charging by putting a voltmeter across the battery, with the engine running you should get 13v to 14.5v. If that is OK, the angle sensor may be giving trouble, there are tests, but I usually just change it, putting the new one back on the shelf if it doesn't fix the problem. Also the up down control box, or it's wiring, can give trouble, again we usually plug in a new one and see if this fixes it. All this substitution is one reason why it may be cheaper to let the dealer repair it.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll check the wireing coming from the up and down shift , iv done the tests on the angel sensor and all reading ok , I'll also take the electric shift motor apart again and give it another clean and sand with fine sand paper , thanks for the reply I'll let you no how I get on.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fix Verified!

Tried this and it works perfect. I had a similar problem where my 2007 honda rancher wouldn't shift out of reverse semi complete with plowing. Starup showed a code 22 ( 2 long flashes and 2 short flashes) Changed out the angle sensor-nothing. Cleaned the shift motor with sandpaper on a dremel tool-Fixed.
Thanks for the fix!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

By tapping on the electric shift control motor, my Honda rancher will start. What's going on?

Quick Reply: Honda Electric Shift (ES) Problem Solved