Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Electric Shift (ES) Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

We had a customer swore this worked for him. We told him this was nonsense and not to do it, as you can dislodge the magnets, they are only glued into the case. This was about six weeks ago, he came back last week holding his starter motor, and we found worn out brushes in it.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It worked for the most part but after riding for a while it doesn't want to shift anymore.. any idea what could be the problem?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We need to know the age and size of your bike, if it is "fault coding" what the code is, and if you can still shift with the emergency lever when the fault is on.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Help Please! - my problem is similar to everyone else's, but with one symptom I haven't seen mentioned. I have a 2003 350trx ES. Won't shift, but the reverse indicator is always dimly lit. I can use the emergency shifter, put it into Reverse and the indicator light will glow brightly.

It has sat for a year outside uncovered. Bad, I know. Battery is shot, won't hold a charge, so everything I'm doing is either with a charger connected, or with it running. When I started it this summer, I could get it to shift up, but not down. I started by taking apart the handle bar shifter switch to clean that. Everything looked clean and shiny. After that, I couldn't get it to shift at all. I pulled the angle sensor, sprayed the wire connector with Electrical cleaner and applied dielectric grease. No improvement. I pulled apart the shift motor and cleaned the copper commutator and sprayed the brushes with electrical contact cleaner. Cleaned the old grease off and applied a white lithium grease. No improvement.

I pulled the wire connector for the shift motor, sprayed it clean and applied the dielectric grease. I have tried, and tried to get the connector apart for the handle bar switch, but I can't get it to budge. Same for the plug connector on the ECU.

I did stick pins into the wire harness for the shift motor and tried touching it to the battery charger. I got a quick spark at contact, but no action from the shift motor at all.

What else can I try? Does the constantly dimly lit reverse lamp mean anything? I have looked at buying a bolt on lever to turn it into a manually shifted machine, but the only place I have seen wants $77 bucks for it and that seems crazy expensive for what you are actually getting. Anyone have suggestions on a good manual shift conversion that would cost less?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a trx 500fpab rubicon 2011 it has 280 miles in it when problems started it was running like crap in reverse then it stopped shifting so I took it to Honda shop they said it was the angle sensor and replaced it well 20 miles later same thing no shift, code 5 I put another new Honda angle sensor in preload was correct started shifting again drove about 20 miles no shift again code 5 again. Reset computer and it starts shifting again until you go 20 miles and throws code 5 and no shift any ideas?

Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The 2011 Auto has a totally different set up to the manuals that this thread is about, so you may be better starting a new thread.

I did have an early Rubicon that presented with the same problems. We had lent it to someone while his new bike (Suzuki 450) came in. When we got it back it had severe rodent damage to the wiring. I re-joined every cut wire I could find and taped up the bare ones, but the fault you describe was on, and new angle sensors lasted a few hours of riding. Tried sending it to a dealer and they said, "fault in loom somewhere, but can't trace where." As luck would have it a Quad breaker we deal with was having a clear out and sent a flyer which included "Honda Rubicon wiring loom complete £15" so we went for it, fitted it, and the fault didn't recur.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question I have the same problem with 2008 420 Rancher

Originally Posted by mikdor
Thanks Chris my 420 won't shift at times and it seems if I shut it down and let it cool it is fine and this is after working it hard. Do You think this is the same problem You had. Thanks Mike
Same with me; after I shut it down and let it rest, it will shift to neutral and then I can start it. From the start, no problem to shift until I shut it off, then it will not downshift or upshift. Battery is new.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up Thanks for posting chris 50362

Had the same problem 2013 Honda 420 rancher not shifting. Cleaned the shift motor with electrical spray and polished the armature with steel wool. Works like new. Thanks soo much. jws