Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 recon 250 front brake problem,need suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 PM
xtc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 recon 250 front brake problem,need suggestions please!

My wife 250 recon has no pressure on the front brake lever by the master cylinder, have already adjusted the two grooved cylinders inside the front hub accessed by removing the rubber plug on front rims ( tightened both sides on each wheel) and it helped for about two rides now the brake lever goes right to the handlebars and no brakeing,
I have check the level of brake fluid on tryed to pump up the lever without the cylinder cover on to see if i got any bubbles, none seen.
I know the brake shoes probably need changing but shouldnt i at least get some resistance with extremly low shoes?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you...ride safe!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the piston and seals on the master cylinder need to be replaced, but first try bleeding the system,starting at the farthest wheel,have someone pump and hold the brake lever, then crack the bleeder and look for any bubbles there. keep pumping and bleeding until the fluid runs clean and has no bubbles. then do the other side. If this does nothing, or only helps a little, then it is more than likely a bad seal in the master and you will need to put in a rebuild kit. Pretty easy to do, just a snap ring and then you can pull the piston/seals, just reinstall new ones, then you get to fill and rebleed the whole thing over again !!. In case you have never bled brakes before, make sure you hold the lever down when you open the bleeder bolt, then tighten the bolt before releasing the lever, or you will suck air back in. And make sure to keep the master cylinder filled with fresh brake fluid, or you will pump air down the lines.