Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Top speeds on modded 400EXs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that i'm at 1,100 ft above sea level.. Does that matter much.

Old 03-22-2001, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Those 22 inch Realtors will slow you down some, I think anyway. They are a lot bigger and heavier. Elevation does matter, but I'm not sure how much elevation it takes to make a difference, but I'm right on the coast, at sea level or below a little, and mine would go in the low 70's stock. Some people might say "well it doesn't matter because you never use it anyway" but I do use it everytime I go riding. It is important for me to have top speed but also something reliable such as four strokes. Anyway, other people are claiming around 60's in higher elevation, so it must have something to do with it. Traction, wind, weight, air temp, etc also effect top speed.

Old 03-22-2001, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

That 73.8 is right in the range that a stock Banshee will top out at. Damn fast for sure. I would say that all of those mods are paying off.

I also use a GPS to measure speed and believe it to be the most accurate way, bar none.

Believe it or not while you do lose a lot of power at higher altitudes you don't seem to lose any top speed from my experience. I'll give you 2 examples measured at 7000 feet above sea level.

My 2000 Banshee when stock recorded between 72.5 to 75 Mph on different runs when stock on flat/level paved road with the GPS.

My 2001 Acura TL Type S recorded 145 Mph. Magazines tested top speed at 147 according to reviews. This was on a slight uphill too.

Old 03-22-2001, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

who said top speed doesn't matter. maybe not in your backyard. ever been passed by a banshee, like your standing still. It kinda sucks when they blow by ya at 80.

Old 03-22-2001, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Like i said, i was easily hitting the rev-limiter in about 1000 feet. so when i gear it up or put another high rev cdi box on it and get my Lectron back on, i should be close to the 80mph range. Gotta hit 100mph, LOL.

Old 03-23-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Uhmm, Has it not concerned you "GPS" guys that GPS does not actually measure the distance that you have travelled? I mean, You can take a GPS system, Drive 100ft at a 80% grade, Come down 100ft at another 80% grade, and only changed your "GPS" position 75ft, Where you have actually travelled 200ft.. Hmm, now there is some food for thought.. There is only 1 true accurate way to test your speed, The drag strip method.. Second closes would have to be either a laser [radar] or by using a highly acurrate speedometer... BTW, A laser trip start and stopped timer set 10ft apart with a rider "maxxed" out before he hits the starter line is the most accurately known way to measure top speed.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:37 AM
Range Rover

I'm not saying that the GPS is the best way to measure speed or that i was really doing 73mph. I do think, however that the GPS's are really close to the actual speed you are traveling. I've tested it on my snowmobile, car, and now my 400EX, and i have to tell you, I don't know how a $120 gadget can be so acurate.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

Wyorider, have you ever checked to see what your piped Banshee will do?

Old 03-23-2001, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

No, I haven't got around to it yet. Don't know why??? The Banshee is street legal so taking it down the road is not a problem. I'll post it when I do.

Old 03-23-2001, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Adrenalinfreak. Normally you make intelligent posts, not today though. It is obvious that you are unaware of how a GPS measures speed. I'll explain:

A GPS measures speed by calculating the doppler shift from the received satellite signals. This the same basic principle used by radar and laser speed measuring devices. The GPS actually has an advantage in that all of the GPS satellites timing systems are derived from a Cesium beam time standard. The satellites apply a correction to the GPS receiver's internal clock using thier own time standard. Accurate time (clocking actually) is the key to accurate speed measurements. A GPS does not measure speed by calculating distance vs time.

Besides not too many of have a rader gun, drag strip or laser tripped timers laying around our garages.

So I say it again; a GPS is the most accurate "consumer grade" method of speed measurement. It was my pleasure to enlighten you.

Quick Reply: Top speeds on modded 400EXs