Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best Honda ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Best Honda ATV

Hi all,

I'm curious...what the best Honda atv would be for my dad. I want to buy a good used one...but not sure about the quality for the model years interested in.

Looking at 2007 or newer. Must have EFI and 4x4. 500cc or larger engine.

Dad will use it for general trail riding (forest service roads) and general use around house.

What do you folks think will work best? Maybe known issues for specific years...and what to stay away from?

Thanks!

biz

Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a 500cc but the Rancher 420 gets my vote. But if not your choice go with the Rubicon

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stuck on honda?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by beergut
stuck on honda?

What do you mean? Or?

biz

Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

+1 for Rancher 420. With power steering for him. I don't have one but wish I did.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only thing about the Rancher is there a smaller mid chassis ATV,not a full size ATV like a Foreman,Rubicon or Rincon.

Stuck on EFI? I ride with two 2006 500 foremans and a 2001 450 Foreman for years all with carbs.
They all started up easily at any temp or season even ice fishing trips. Not sure what the big EFI advantage will be but it will limit your choices.

You may use the choke for the first start up/warm up of the morning,but rest of the day it just hit the button and go like you jumping in your car.

Honda jumped on the EFI band wagon pretty late so you sure will miss many Foreman deals and its there #1 Full size selling ATV.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

couldn't respectfully disagree more.
I can't even count how many dirtbikes, atv's and small engines I've owned & serviced with both EFI & carb fuel systems over the last 20 years.
efi has a huge advantage in so many aspects-

in cold weather starting and mud / water terrain.

my fil has a new polaris hawkeye with a carb- started it a couple weeks ago, I had to wait 3 minutes for the thing to warm up before giving it full throttle.
my efi rotax is immediate start and full power in *10 weather within a couple of seconds- you'll never see a carb do that- no matter how well it's tuned.
carbs also require more maintenance- gas doesn't sit in the injector like in a carb bowl-
and, carbs pull gas via vacuum whereas injectors use pressure- pressurized injectors are much less prone to clogging than carb jets.

not to mention having a the fuel maps adjust fuel / air according to atmosphere conditions to optimize peak HP and mileage.

it's a moot argument- EFI is superior in every aspect- it's not even worth debating.
there's a reason every modern vehicle, car, boat, motorcycle (except cheaper / less expensive models) use EFI.

some people just like their carbs- which is fine, but the carb vs efi debate is a silly one- almost as silly as power steering vs no power steering.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by biz4two
What do you mean? Or?

biz
has to be a honda?
is that his choice? has he been keeping up with the current atv
market and features?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Well I guess I just have super good luck with carbed atvs,motorcycles,outboards and sleds, I,m last 20 years and never even took a carb off for a cleaning more then a couple of times and never on one of my ATVs.

Just my carbed sleds get alittle more loving ,but there 120 to 145 hp two strokes and I clean those carbs each season need it or not.

There no power advantage with efi, I ride a 500 Sportsman x2 EFI alot and it has zero power or performance advantage.

Our 12 ATV fishing group has all kinds of ATVs with a mismatch of EFI and carb machine of every make ,model and year.

We all just start them up at the trucks and ride the 20 mile trip to the fly in lake for the last 15 years.

He is talking about ATV and a Honda 4x4 at that and big power is not what they have EFI or not.
Maybe cars have a bid advantage but there not using simple throttle bodys like small motors do.

And people forget EFI does not warm up the engine oil any faster on cold days.

I rode a 700SP efi and carb, a EFI Brutforce and carb, a 420 Rancher and 421 Grizzly carbed and like mentioned 500SP of both.
Once your up and riding you can,t tell them apart and if someone says they can there fooling themselfs.

I,m not againts EFI, I bought a 165hp E-Tec 800 Ski-doo last year and love it,but all the carbed sleds I ride with get where i,m going just as well.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by beergut
has to be a honda?
is that his choice? has he been keeping up with the current atv
market and features?

No...he hasn't been keeping up with the current atv market. We owned a Honda many...many years ago. Same with a Yamaha. I made a move to a Suzuki 500 atv...and now am a Polaris owner.

My concern for him...is something (brand) he knows and trusts. Reliable...and then more reliable.

The only other brand I'd consider for him...is the Yamaha in the Grizz (450 or 550)...or Big Bear...Kodiak flavor. Just need to have the EFI and 4x4...and not sure when that became available from Yamaha.

Thanks!

biz

Quick Reply: Best Honda ATV