Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.......

Well had it and the trike out yesterday to play for a while. Ran great! Clutch is a little slippery though.... Easy fix!

Still need to rebuild the carb which I think I am going to do probably Thursday, and I want to go ahead and do the FST Oil Cooler mod then as well. I have all the parts in order now, just need to do it. When I was out wheeling yesterday it did get quite a bit of splash down water cooling since it has done nothing but rain for the last week, so I never saw it over 170 the whole time I was out. Hopefully when I put the FST Cooler on that should stop any chance of having any heat issues. We will see!

Name:  IMG_20130630_164049_123_zps3f3288db.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  108.7 KB

Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Well I put it back together today, fresh rebuilt carb and installed the FST oil cooler. Then I ran into a problem.

I fired it up and oil is POURING out of the upper head. on the side where I tapped head for the cooler. I was supposed to tap it on the timing chain side correct? That is what the instructions indicated...... It is coming out between the upper and lower head. I put the plug in like it said to tapped the clutch cover. I don't see how it is getting any more oil there now than it was before.... I am going to order a new top end gasket set for it and replace that gasket, but it was practically new so I dont think that is the problem. Besides that it is just a metal gasket so it doesnt have much for sealing qualities any how.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

It's over my head.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing the oil cooler does is takes oil and diverts it from the second oil cooler and puts cool oil into the head. It does the opposite of the factory oil cooler which puts oil on the bottom then sending the hot oil up to the head.
Did you reuse the factory head bolts as those are torque to yield and should be replaced with new.
After my rebuild and putting in the cooler I had such a hard with an oil leak at the chain tensioner. I replaced the gasket
3 times before it stopped leaking. Also on the head bolts you must use loctite no questions asked

Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Trailblazer

The lower head is not leaking its the upper head/valve cover. I am wondering if the plug did not seal and so it is double pumping oil in to the head.... I am going to try tonight to tear it back apart and see what is going on. I am just pressed for time, I need to get this done as I am supposed to be going on a trip with it leaving in less than a week..... I guess worse comes to worse I can just take the plug out of the upper end and cap the elbows, but I would rather just finish it.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=Neverdone;3197410]The lower head is not leaking its the upper head/valve cover. I am wondering if the plug did not seal and so it is double pumping oil in to the head.... I am going to try tonight to tear it back apart and see what is going on. I am just pressed for time, I need to get this done as I am supposed to be going on a trip with it leaving in less than a week..... I guess worse comes to worse I can just take the plug out of the upper end and cap the elbows, but I would rather just finish

I will post photos later of where mine were tapped and plumbed. Just to give you an idea if your in the same spot of not.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MarioWeldingInc
I will post photos later of where mine were tapped and plumbed. Just to give you an idea if your in the same spot of not.
Thank You very much!!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Trailblazer

figured out the oil leak........... I now feel like an idiot.......... nuff said.

Hope to go out for a ride tonight!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Neverdone
figured out the oil leak........... I now feel like an idiot.......... nuff said.

Hope to go out for a ride tonight!

Lol good lookin! I couldnt figure out how to upload the photos from my phone. At least you got it fixed!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

Well it survived the Badlands with only minor damage. Was one instance that I slid backwards down a hill and hit a tree. Kinda scary deal when it started to kick sideways while sliding... Only thing that really happened was smashed my foot and bent the end of the pipe a bit. I do still want to put on a fan since your not always moving fast enough for the coolers to do their job, but the FST cooler did help, never went over 260 that I saw.

Quick Reply: 400EX Questions