Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow nice save. I hate those type of falls where everything you did went can go down the tubes in an instant. Thats what it was like on the coal hills of Trevorton PA. At a 100ft up with the front end starting to lift up but you have to keep on the throttle or you lose traction. Welcome!! lol

the 260* mark should be where it maxes out even a little over is ok. Thats fine. I do know that the second cooler does not need to be in direct airflow but where it mounts in between the shocks is just a convenient spot. I would go with the Spal fan. Thats probably my next move too. I know we dont need it but its just that piece of mind I guess. I am going to use a toggle switch as I want full control of the fan.
Also the FST cooler kits main function is to supply cooled oil to the valves and cam first. That eliminates the need for hardened rockers when you go with the aftermarket cam.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a good time none the less!!! I do have a short video that shows where things went bad for me. The hill doesn't look like much, but it obviously was since all 4 were locked and I was sliding back down!!!!

You may want to turn off the sound unless you want to hear the camera case rattle.
SCREWED9_zps6daa9cf9.mp4 Video by RumbleWagon | Photobucket

The only time I stopped out on the trail I snapped a crappy pic, but thought it looked cool.
Name:  BREAKTIME_zps1bceeb78.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  156.2 KB

I am going to order a 4" SPAL today and just hook it to a switch. My second cooler with where it is mounted probably gets more air than the primary, but I still want more. I am going to hook it to a toggle and mount that on the dash by the key, probably a indicator there to go with it so I know it is running. Pulled the skid plates off last night so I could fix a rattle with them. Glued some rubber to the skid plate so that it won't rub the frame anymore.

I hope to get the valves adjusted tonight so that I can put this away for a bit and work on my three wheeler some.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

not sure if that link will work but thats me on the 400EX. The cameraman was my buddy Mark and Tyler was the other guy. The snow was so deep and fluffly I kept having to unstuck myself. I was so hot and exhausted at this point I couldnt push the quad over. It was almost at a 60 degree incline and I was going WOT trying to get up this hill and I hit a root! Surprise!

I do have to say the 400EX sounds awesome at WOT

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Neverdone
It was a good time none the less!!! I do have a short video that shows where things went bad for me. The hill doesn't look like much, but it obviously was since all 4 were locked and I was sliding back down!!!!

You may want to turn off the sound unless you want to hear the camera case rattle.
SCREWED9_zps6daa9cf9.mp4 Video by RumbleWagon | Photobucket

The only time I stopped out on the trail I snapped a crappy pic, but thought it looked cool.

I am going to order a 4" SPAL today and just hook it to a switch. My second cooler with where it is mounted probably gets more air than the primary, but I still want more. I am going to hook it to a toggle and mount that on the dash by the key, probably a indicator there to go with it so I know it is running. Pulled the skid plates off last night so I could fix a rattle with them. Glued some rubber to the skid plate so that it won't rub the frame anymore.

I hope to get the valves adjusted tonight so that I can put this away for a bit and work on my three wheeler some.
No putting it away! keep riding!!

Yeah that seems to be an issue with full skids. Mine would constantly rattle. I ended up getting a roll of foam tape at Walmart with one side sticky. I put it in a few spots and tightened it up real tight and it worked. I havent taken it off yet to see if any crud gets in between it and rusts the frame.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

Well I put the skid back on and no more rattle! But......I tightened the valve lash but I think its too tight. It won't rev. Just falls on its face. No power. Guess I get to take it back apart. Getting tired of doing that. Want to take the top off anyway so I can check can wear. But now it will be a few days before I get to do that

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Neverdone
Well I put the skid back on and no more rattle! But......I tightened the valve lash but I think its too tight. It won't rev. Just falls on its face. No power. Guess I get to take it back apart. Getting tired of doing that. Want to take the top off anyway so I can check can wear. But now it will be a few days before I get to do that

It sucks until you get it right. This I know, I am still in a constant battle to get my machine to idle correctly. Had an ATV shop adjust my carb too but still wasnt right...at least to me. But I still have a problem after riding hard for a while and then coming to a stop my bike stumbles and stalls. Like when I go WOT up a 100ft -150ft hill then when I get to the top I pull the clutch in and it dies. Been like this since I bought the bike and even before the 500 BBK.

Make sure your throttle stop screw isnt set too high (high idle) as that can hamper some performance.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

i know this is off subject but what tires do you have on the rear ?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hobbs88
i know this is off subject but what tires do you have on the rear ?

Who? I have CST Lumberjacks 22".

Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Neverdone.... sorry for not clarifying that mario..

Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

Hobbs88 they are Pure Sports Realtor 22". They don't get a lot of side bite, but they hook like a beast in any terrain!!! Bi-Directional also.

Mario, looks like I am going to have some time to tinker this weekend after all so hopefully I get that done. I want to take the upper head off so I can check cam wear anyway so I will start tearing it down then at least. I want to get it done, the wife and I are hoping to take a wheeling trip this year before she has to go back to school (teacher) which is in the end of August.

I need to get that done this weekend, Monday I am planning on doing some work with my rat rod so that is going to occupy most of my free time this week.

Quick Reply: 400EX Questions