Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Unsure about trouble shooting after top end rebuild 300ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsure about trouble shooting after top end rebuild 300ex

Hello all,

I've had a 300ex for a year or so and when I bought it smoked - not horrible but consistently. I'd ride it a bit, nothing hard but noticed that I lost power occasionally when running at faster speeds.

This week I finally got around to putting new rings in. I was pretty deliberate in honing and the rebuild and now the quad doesn't smoke. No knocking, no ticking, starts right up.

While I had the carb off I went ahead and took it apart - mine is a '96 (do the japanese go out of their way to make this thing more complicated than it needs to be?) and the jets were spotless, so I'm pretty confident its never had a fuel flow or air flow issue.

I've read about 5 different ways to "break in" the quad after a rebuild build. So far I've let it idle for about 5 minutes, then rode around the yard, let it cool off, then rode down the road for about 1/2 mile, but I've yet to go WOT on it.

At any rate, it feels like the gap in the power band is still there , or at least a hesistation and because of that I'm reluctant to take it out and go WOT for fear of doing something major. Oh - I'm also confident of that I have the timing right. I checked it about 4 times before I put the valve cover back on.

I would like to get some thoughts on what to look for in investigating this potential problem or have someone tell me I'm being paranoid. I'd hate to screw this thing up.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I fixed it myself. Turns out it was pretty simple. The choke lever was broke and it was wide open. Starts easy - not so good going down the road.