Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx 400 smokes like a freight train

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx 400 smokes like a freight train

I got this quad in my shop I was told it would run but not idle so I pulled the carb out to find that the pin through the float was bent and the float was cracked so I replaced all of that cleaned the carb out and put it back in turned it over and it fired but not worth a s@$t it sputters pops bangs and so forward and it smokes white but was I shut the quad off or just let go of the throttle it shuts off but my shop has a blue smoke haze in it I put a new plug in it and I pulled it out and it was black so its running lean but so lean that if its choked or even half choked it wont run seems to be getting lots of fuel but no air ever turned over with no filter I donno if anyone else has tried shooting gas right into the cylinder but when I did I turned it over fired right up and revved and absolutely no smoke what so ever any ideas.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

White smoke burning anti freeze
Blue burning oil
Black is rich or lean (don't remember which)

I had a quad that if you dumped fuel into the cylinder would be clean until it would idle blew smoke like hell found out the head gasket blew

Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The ex is air cooled, no coolant. A white spark plug is lean, back is rich.
If its blowing blue smoke . You might want to do a compression test to see if the motor needs work before you put more labor into the carb.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

It is either the rings or valve seats could be just the little valve seals that set on top the valves . if it sat for along time not getting started may have broke a ring.Get it real hot running it and see if it stops smoking before getting in there.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to see how much fuel it was using so I grabbed a water bottle and in like 30 seconds of running it used half of a water bottle so it is running extremely rich and it shoots flames even with the spark arrester in there