Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

03 rincon limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 rincon limp mode

So I have an 03 rincon 650 and when I got it about 6 months ago it would ride fine as long as the battery was charged then once it started dying it'd cut off so I replaced the stator that was a ball of copper. (Flywheel fine) in the process i cracked the rear crankcase replaced that and everything. So here's the problem I cranked it up and it ran perfect idled fine and everything. Came back the next day and smelled gas so I opened the air box and it was full of gas, so rebuilt the carb and all put it back on. Idles perfect shifts fine from n-d-r auto and esp well once you get about 1/4 throttle it starts poppin and skipping really bad. I drained the gas, put high test and still doing it, found bad wire on shift solenoid and took care of the only code,replaced the coil and still doing it I'm stumped with this! Any ideas what could be causing this!?

Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The airbox full of fuel was because the float needle stuck and you had routed the overflow pipe up instead of down, so overflowing fuel went into the airbox instead of onto the ground. Float needles often stick when you have had the tank off, because you disturb bits of grit which then run through and jam the needle open. Make sure all carb breathers are routed right. Bad idea fitting new parts in a carb, you can add problems you didn't have before. On a Rincon you may be getting fail safe mode, though I would have thought a code would have come up if this was the case.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I know this isn't the right post to ask but let's say there is a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill, do I downshift before going the hill or can I downshift while on the hill?

Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply yeah I knew the needle had stuck that's the main reason I rebuilt it I'm glad I did cause the jets and everything were clogged pretty good, and then the drain tube was blocked off is the reason it flooded the air box, I did have code 8 pop up and the reason for that was the wire going to the shift solenoid had bare wire showing and I fixed that so that code went away I'm just at a loss cause it idles fine just at 1/4 throttle and above it pops and backfires.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse Evaskovich
Hey I know this isn't the right post to ask but let's say there is a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill, do I downshift before going the hill or can I downshift while on the hill?
LOL. This is not even in the ball park of the same post! Please just start a new post and I am sure you will get answered. Hijacking posts are usually not appricaated on most forms!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apjones74
Thanks for the reply yeah I knew the needle had stuck that's the main reason I rebuilt it I'm glad I did cause the jets and everything were clogged pretty good, and then the drain tube was blocked off is the reason it flooded the air box, I did have code 8 pop up and the reason for that was the wire going to the shift solenoid had bare wire showing and I fixed that so that code went away I'm just at a loss cause it idles fine just at 1/4 throttle and above it pops and backfires.
When you say it was flooded with gas did you clean the air filter when you reasembled?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

@oldyeller sorry lol kinda new to like all of this

Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes luckily after I had it running I took the filter out and didn't put it back on so no gas was on the filter cause it's brand new! I'm just wondering when I rebuilt it if I still haven't got the adjustment correct on it I ran the adjustment all the way in and then 2 full rotations out but haven't really messed with it since! I had some bad gas in it cause I drained the tank after I realized that it smelt like rotten corn! (Not me previous owner) I only run high test non ethanol in it! I'm gonna try rebuilding the carb again and see what happens Ima clean it really well this time being I didn't have any carb cleaner when I rebuilt it the first time! (Was at work bored and had it with me lol)

Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I never alter that mixture screw, and must have cleaned out well over 100 quad carbs. If you remove the jets and blow through them and the orifices they came from, with compressed air, then clean out the float bowl, 99 times out of 100 the carb will be right. Like I wrote above, you sometimes get the float needle sticking after this, as you have disturbed the tank sediment, but turning the tap off, running the engine until the float bowl is empty, then turning the tap back on, usually flushes the grit off the needle.