Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hi, I need help with my 2015 500 rubicon automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I need help with my 2015 500 rubicon automatic

Hi, I need help with my 2016 500 rubicon, I just replaced my old PGM-FI unit as my dashboard was blinking, I put on a brand new PGM-FI unit, now everything works good now my nutural light works good now, but my automatic gear shift still don't want to work, the shift botton don't make any sound at all when I try press the gear shift bottons, and don't want to change into any gears at all, could it also be from one of the relays? And when I use my manual shift it works, but it shows 2nd gear.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Please share with us what a PGM-FI unit is. Your previous post was about the shift fault, I suspect what you have changed was fuel injection related? As I wrote before, I would give the Honda dealers the headaches with this one, as it is such a new machine. Has the guarantee run out yet?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PGM-FI unit

I believe the PGM-FI unit has something to do with the fuel injection, but I don't know why it got my dashboard working good again, had problems with my dashboard blinking, and now I need help with my gears not working, could it be from the shift relay? If so where is the shift relay located at?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If there is a fault with the EFI system the FI light blinks a sort of Morse code, telling the Honda technician what (in theory) is wrong with the injection system. Another code system is used for the gear change, this time it is the "gear position display" in the spedometer that blinks a code out. If you are not getting any code now, the fault is a lot harder to trace. I only maintain one newish 420 with the double clutch Auto system, so am not all that familiar with it, but the normal ES set up didn't have any relays, power for the shift motor came from the computer. It is possible that the "gear position indicator" sender unit is faulty and, when in Auto, the system refuses to change out of neutral because it already thinks the bike is in second gear. On most Hondas this indicator is in the alternator case, and it requires removal of the back engine cases to get at it.