Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1997 Honda Fourtrax lurches forward or back in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Fourtrax lurches forward or back in reverse.

Hello and thanks for any info you can provide. I have a 1997 Honda 300 fourtrax. The centrifugal clutch one way bearing was bad in it so I decided to replace it. When I put everything back together and tried to put it in gear with the bike running and it wants to jerk forward like I gave it full throttle. I have tried adjusting the clutch play and the idle screw on the carburator. Not sure where to look or try next. Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same exact quad and my buddy does too we had the same problem and then we turned down the idler screw on the carburetor and it solved the problem I hope this helps you

Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried that took my idle down as low as possible and still does the same thing.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You have put something back wrongly in the centrifugal, or one way clutches, not sure if you can put the one way clutch in the wrong way round, but if you can, that could be the problem. Does it kick start?

Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

As far as I know I put the clutch and bearing in correctly. Would you happen to know which way the bearing is supposed to turn clockwise or counterclockwise? Kickstarter does not work which was the start of the whole project. I bought the four wheeler a few months ago with kickstarter not working but everything else worked fine and shifted like it was supposed to. so figured I'd figure out what is wrong. Replaced the kickstarter only to find out my one way bearing was bad and replaced that. Kickstarter still doesn't work. It's like it's not grabbing whatever it needs too. I'm fairly new to fourwheeler engines but am relatively mechanical.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Seems a lot like you put that bearing in the wrong way round. Take it off again, put it in the other way round and check if the kickstart works before re-fitting the case. Check that you have fitted any thrust washers in correctly (if there are any) and that the springs on the centrifugal shoes are pulling them fully back.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

So I could be wrong but that bearing is supposed to turn only counterclockwise? Which that's the way it set up right now.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Can't remember, I work on so many different models, some lock clockwise, some anti-clockwise, I just try to put the new one in with the arrow or "This side out" message the same as the one I took out. If I do need to check, I spin the crank in it's running direction, and then spin the clutch drum the opposite way, if it moves that way freely, it is right.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I had to wait for parts but finally tore everything apart and found out I did install the one way bearing in backwards. The bearing I ordered did not say "this side out" like the factory bearing. It just had an arrow and the model # so I assumed the arrow would face out. I am having trouble torquing down the clutch nut to specifications though. I can seem to get a hold of anything solid to stop it The clutch or gears from spinning. The clutch housing and engine are still on the bike frame. Any suggestions to how I can properly torque that down?

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Fourtrax lurches forward or back in reverse.