Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon 250 Utility won't start.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Off-Road Delinquent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon 250 Utility won't start.

I have had my Honda Recon 250 for about 8 years, i have only rode it once and i now have a chance to ride it for a very long time. It started on the 2nd try of the pull-start and would not stay running, i removed the battery and charged it and also removed the solenoid and ordered a new one for it. I have to cut the cables on the new solenoid and splice them together because of the cables not being long enough for my Recon. the pull start had decided to stop catching aswell. i cannot get it to start at all and i need all the help i can get.
i removed the battery and solenoid

i am pretty sure that the Honda has the clutch on the right side, as the left has a brake-line but the right one d,oes not have one. it has been a while since i worked on it.

that is the whole Recon, i am working on it as it is in minor disrepair. but it ran on the 2nd pull and would not run at all after that pull.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

After a long lay up it will probably need a new battery, but why a solenoid? It will also need the old fuel draining out and fresh putting in, and may well need the carb cleaning out, but try with fresh fuel first. The gear pedal works the clutch, so first part of gearchange lifts the clutch. Front brakes are RH lever, back brake LH lever and footbrake.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:11 AM
Off-Road Delinquent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I took out the solenoid is that it never worked in the first place, whenever I got it the solenoid was broke and the ole' bang on it with a screwdriver trick didn't work. Whenever I tried to start it electronically I just got that sad old tick of a solenoid unable to start correctly.