Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 250 won't start

I have been given a Recon 250 by a relative who babied it since purchase and has not ridden it in over 4-years. I'm great with mechanical work, but this is my very first ATV so I could use any pointers that y'all might have to offer. Right now, I've replaced the battery and get a quick clicking when I put it in neutral and try to start, but nothing else. Pulling the cord doesn't seem to do anything either other than make me tired after a while. The clicking sounds a little like what you might get in a car when the starter is starting to crap out, but I'm not sure if that is the same kind of thing on an ATV or not.

I've ordered a Haynes manual for it, but don't expect to have that in hand for a week or more.

Any suggestions on threads to review or where to start? I did a forum search, but my search-fu apparently isn't working very well because I found nothing. I posted this in the new member intros too, so apologies for not getting it posted to the right thread the first time around.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Sounds like the solenoid clicking, and as you can turn the engine on the pull start, the problem is either a flat battery, (don't assume the new battery isn't flat), bad battery connections, (include the earths in your checks), or the starter seized. Honda started using a cheap starter motor on the 250 in about 2007, the magnets drop off and seize it. They went back to the better quality starter in about 2015. It should start on the pull start, but after a long lay up may need the extra churning that an electric start provides.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get an test light an hook gator clamp to ground[neg] an probe postive side [starting motor side] of solenoid and push starting button an if test lights up that mean voltage is going through solenoid and problem is in starter or engine, if light doesnt light and you hear clicking sound mean solenoid is making connection inside itself but terminals are corroded and need to replace solenoid,if No clicking noise is heard when starting button is pushed then low battery or bad connections or bad starting button switch..