Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoakum
By "high rpm's", were you running it at the throttle setting that it bogs or wide open? If wide open and it looks lean, yes I'd step up to the next size main jet.
If you were at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, I'd give the needle another shot.

Sounds like you're getting close...
sounds like I’ll be giving the needle another try because it’s arouns the half throttle to 3/4, full throttle pulls well

Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the bog on the Throttle punch back to the 1/2 to 3/4 position going thru 3rd and 4th or is it when holding the throttle at that position accelerating thru 3rd and 4th or just easing the throttle to the position. What position was the needle in when you put the 152 in? With the 152 it might should have gone back to the 4th position with the smaller main.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
Is the bog on the Throttle punch back to the 1/2 to 3/4 position going thru 3rd and 4th or is it when holding the throttle at that position accelerating thru 3rd and 4th or just easing the throttle to the position. What position was the needle in when you put the 152 in? With the 152 it might should have gone back to the 4th position with the smaller main.
its a 150 main, and it’s onlt when easing into the throttle or holding it around half to 3/4. Maybe I should go to the 5th position and make it rich as possible? I’ll try the 4th first but if the 5th doesn’t work obviously I’d have to bump up to a 152 or 155 or something I assume..

Old 03-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
’m really not understanding what I’m doing wrong. I’ve gotten the idle down nice to where it purrs like a kitten when it’s warmed up. It’s got a 40 main jet and isn’t too hard to start but took about 3 tries of starting it to get it running (no gas in carb I just put it back on after taking it apart) but after it warmed up it’s ready to go and idling perfect. Then I went to take it for a ride after moving the clip down and making the needle sit higher one click and it’s still bogging out in the mid range. I’m running a 150 main there’s no way it’s running rich! It actually felt the same if not worse after moving the needle up one notch in the slide. And same thing as before if I punch it from a stop it picks the wheels off the ground and bogs ever so slightly and makes it to the main jet at wide open throttle and there is no bogging at all at wide open throttle. I have the unifilter on as well I don’t know what’s going on...

Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

At the throttle position you're having trouble with (which I understand is 1/2 to 3/4), does it only bog while you're accelerating? Or if you hold it constantly at that position, does it spit and sputter the whole time? If the latter, have you checked the plug coloration again after holding it at that point?
Sorry if this sounds redundant....kinda running out of ideas here.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but whomever told you to drop a main that much without really knowing your machine is nuts! You'll be guessing all day long if you don't start doing some plug chops. I would definitely richen the main back up and do one at WOT (that's the most important as it's the greatest load on the engine), then I'd work my way back to 3/4 and 1/2 throttle. The A/F adjustment is an adjustment done at idle...baseline is generally 2.5 turns out from lightly seated...you fine tune that when running listening to the motor...there are good vids about how to do this.

If you are doing this in the cold be aware that everything will fat'n up as the warmer weather arrives...

If you go through all these steps and still can't get a carb to run consistently I'd start thinking about other possible issues including air leaks...

Old 03-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Well here’s a question.. I read somewhere that the accelerator pump is only a factor when starting. Well turns out I had it backwards from the first time rejetting. I had the spring pushing down on the pump instead up into the carburetor. So I changed that out last night and put the spring back how it’s supposed to be. Could that be causing it? I’ll have to Throw maybe a 158 or 160 in there instead of the 162 I had in previously, or should I put the 162 back in with the pump back how it should be functioning...

Old 03-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

It sounded like you were close to having everything work, so try it first without rejetting. Unless you KNOW something is wrong, making multiple changes at once usually corrects one thing, screws up something that was already right, and leaves you still not knowing which was which. If the pump corrects the bogging problem, then do the color tests with the plugs. THEN change the jets if you need to.
Good luck!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yoakum
It sounded like you were close to having everything work, so try it first without rejetting. Unless you KNOW something is wrong, making multiple changes at once usually corrects one thing, screws up something that was already right, and leaves you still not knowing which was which. If the pump corrects the bogging problem, then do the color tests with the plugs. THEN change the jets if you need to.
Good luck!
well I didn’t see this before working on it so I went ahead and put a 158 main in it and started it up. Took it for a spin and now it just feels worse then before after fixing the pump and the 158. Now at wide open throttle it bogs as well but I just CANT seem to understand how that 150 main was better with my mods. It just makes zero sense. With a full header and exhaust, air box lid off, and unifilter there’s just no way it can move up from a 148 to a 150 woth those modifications. And run better on 150 then the others. I have a 155 I can try but that still sounds lean and I’m at 40-100 ft from sea level! I checked for vacuum leaks and nothing. Something just can’t be right and I’m not seeing the problem here. When I did the plug chop as well with the 150 it was very white so we know it’s running lean. Something just can’t be right

Old 03-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

I’ve gone as far as throwing tbe 162 main back in, and it just sputters after hitting mid throttle. From mid to wide open it just sputters. I put in a 170, same thing, a 172, same thing, 175 after a quarter throttle in the 175 it just bogged out and almost shut off so I’m assuming that’s too rich. I checked for vacc leaks, sprayed the carb and intake boot and carb boot to the engine with carb cleaner and didn’t get any change while idling so no leaks are present. I would have tried going to a 165 or 168 but my local shop didn’t have it. Also when I pulled the plug running the 170 it was white.... how in the FSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word * is this thing running lean on 170 and 172.

Quick Reply: Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...