Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beats the @$#%&$*! out of me!
On the theory that free advice is worth what you paid for it...
Go back to the 150. From what you described you were soooo close.....
See what it does when everything is set like it was BEFORE your re-did the pump (when everything was almost there) and see if the pump made any difference.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yoakum
Beats the @$#%&$*! out of me!
On the theory that free advice is worth what you paid for it...
Go back to the 150. From what you described you were soooo close.....
See what it does when everything is set like it was BEFORE your re-did the pump (when everything was almost there) and see if the pump made any difference.
well good sir I must say I very much appreciate that you’re still trying to figure this out with me! As for your advice. I did go back to the 150, butttt it was running lean as hell and as for putting the pump back in the wrong way.... I see what you’re saying because I was so closed but leaving the pump in stalled backwards pushing the pump down was constantly putting fuel out of the plunger correct? In Theory? So if that’s how it was working with the 150 main then obviously I need more fuel with the other jets in between 160 to 170 I’d say since putting in the 170 it sputters, the 175 completely dumped on all power and almost stalled it so we know that is very rich, so im thinking 165-168 will be the money jet. But if that doesn’t work im just gonna take the machine to a repair shop and if they have fair prices just be done with it since this is just a 3 week headache.. I very much appreciate your input and willpower to help me get this thing up and running!!!!

Old 03-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

Good luck

Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The accelerator pump is only for a spray of fuel when the throttle is stabbed to feed until vacuum gets the fuel flowing. Think of it like a pump spray bottle. It helps the transfer from off the gas to back o n the gas. For 1 ride the 162 had everything almost perfect in the other thread but the next ride it started bogging. With the quad off take the air tube from carb to air box off you might watch the fuel spray through back of carb when throttle is stabbed to see the spray if it’s weak or spraying early or late. Did you just turn the fuel screw “D screw on bottom of carb” to where you thought it should be or did you adjust it where it seemed best.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
The accelerator pump is only for a spray of fuel when the throttle is stabbed to feed until vacuum gets the fuel flowing. Think of it like a pump spray bottle. It helps the transfer from off the gas to back o n the gas. For 1 ride the 162 had everything almost perfect in the other thread but the next ride it started bogging. With the quad off take the air tube from carb to air box off you might watch the fuel spray through back of carb when throttle is stabbed to see the spray if it’s weak or spraying early or late. Did you just turn the fuel screw “D screw on bottom of carb” to where you thought it should be or did you adjust it where it seemed best.
with the 162 in it was close to working but that was when the pump was in backwards and the spring was pushing the diaphragm down. Now that it’s in the correct position th 162 hasn’t worked at all. And I recalibrated the air mixture screw when I redid the pump and fiddled with it till it idled best. Now when it’s warmed up it idles all day long if it has to. Maybe this could be an electrical problem....

Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Where you adjusting the D shaped adjuster on the bottom or the idle **** screw.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
Where you adjusting the D shaped adjuster on the bottom or the idle **** screw.
i adjusted the air mixture screw till it didn’t bog at all, about 2 1/2 turns and then made the idle screw set to have a nice low idle. Idles perfect when warmed up. What’s that have to do with the midrange and wide open throttle though? Aren’t those separate from that

Old 03-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

And also my mixture screw is a flathead not a D screw like the older models.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Range Rover

Just making sure we weren’t confused on idle and fuel mixture screw. I thought 04’s had the d screw but they started in 05. Have you used the choke any time you’ve started the bike or tried putting choke on during any trial runs or put air lid back on to see if that would change anything on trial runs.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, hope my "On the theory that free advice is worth what you paid for it..." wasn't taken wrong. That was just frustration on my part of not having an answer. No offense intended.

Accelerator pump theory (sorta ) with disclaimer ....I know "atmospheric pressure pushes the fuel rather than the vacuum sucking it, but "sucking" is shorter and easier to type
The Venturi action (vacuum) in the carb is dependent on how much air is coming through the carb in a given amount of time. That amount is dependent on your engine displacement and how fast it's running (rpm's).
So at low rpm's (not pulling much air), the slide is almost closed, but you still have vacuum. At wide open, the slide is wide open but the high rpm's are pulling more air, so you still have a good vacuum.
But when you hit the throttle hard from low idle, the engine is at low rpm, but now the throttle slide is wide open. The vacuum collapses momentarily (until the rpm's catch up), but in that instant the engine bogs because no vacuum means you're not pulling any gas in. That's where the accelerator pump kicks in.

With all things in balance, the vacuum has been holding the accelerator pump diaphragm down. When the vacuum collapses, the spring pulls up and sprays that squirt (that Lt. Granddad was talking about) into the carb to transition across the lull until the rpm's catch up. Otherwise, it just sits there.

The carb is trying to maintain a roughly 14:1 air gas ratio. At low rpm's, less throttle opening (but relatively SAME vacuum), the orifices (pilot) have to be smaller to maintain that ratio. As the rpm's and throttle opening gradually increase, the vacuum doesn't change that much, but the fuel orifices (needle jet, jet needle, main) all allow more and more fuel to maintain that ratio. That's why a throttle chop at various throttle settings indicates different problems in the carb.

Disclaimer: I know this is not all that in-depth, but it's my understanding. If I'm dead wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected (and enlightened!!)

So... here's my twisted logic (and I'm relatively sober at the moment). If the bike was "almost there" until you corrected the accelerator pump, and now nothing works or makes sense, I would suspect that maybe the pump was right to start with? It seems to be the turd in the churn at the moment.

Quick Reply: Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...