Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex ball joints & water problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-1999, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a owner of a awsome 400ex when running correctly. My first question is anyone out there have any problems with their front ends where the tie rod connects to the ball joint. I have fare amount of extra play where this connection is made. I was wondering if the stock joints were a problem. Does anyone make any after market ones for the machine. My other problem was with creek crossings. I had wrote to all of you about a month or 2 ago about my machine bogging out after crossing the creek. I took the advise in packing the plug with electrical greese, and the coil seems fine, but the problem is still there. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Please help!

Old 09-21-1999, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Assuming your not in water up to the seat, I would suspect that the plug wire is leaking current to ground when it gets wet, hope this helps.

Old 09-21-1999, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Their should be almost no play in the front end.IS it all the ball joints or just one?

On a dry concrete floor,Turn the tire by the tire side to side.Their should be almost no play or wierd sounds. If their is somthings wrong.

As for the bogging problem.Are the battery conections tight?Check wirring harness for cuts,scrapes.Did you test in the creak,,what water level did this?Water in the air box?I've been in two feet of water with no problems,But i woun't sugest camping out there for long.

Old 09-21-1999, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

After putting the machine on the floor, if you grab the tire to the right, and left the play is right in the ball joint. Can this be tightened or should I just replace it. The nut on the top of the joint spins slightly but the cotter pin prevents it from coming completly out. I do have extended A-arms 2" but that shouldn't matter should it? As for the water problems, the depths I've encountered range from only a few inches that I just blast through too water that has been almost three feet. There hasn't been any water found in the airbox, it's bone dry. On those deep encounters I'm usually have the front end in the air. I just don't know what to do anymore!

Old 09-25-1999, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Take the cotter pin out and titen,It rests on a dead stop.If it is still lose,replace as soon as posible.Plus 2 a-arms with longer tie rods put more stress on the tie rod ends.check all four.

As for the boging,I wonder if water is coming in to the carb through the vent tubes that hang down.Does it feel like its bogging down or cutting out electricly?

Old 09-29-1999, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I'll check all the ball joints this weekend. As for your explanation upon the bogging of the machine, After you mentioned that about the tubes to the carb, that could be very well possible. If so How do I correct the problem. If I were to plug them will that cut to much air out. Thanks for the other advice!