Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

YZ426 power

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pam, in the gospel we have all come to know as "DirtWheels" The Tecate had the fastest top speed of 74 with the LT250 in toe at 72 and the 250R at 71. The Tecate was defintely the farthest thing from a slug an ATV could get and anyone who says that doesn't know what they are talking about.The Tecate didn't handle well, but the power was awesome.The 87 had wheezy low end juices and screamed from there up and for 88 they added a little more carrots to the stew on the lower side of the spectrum, but it was still a bike that liked a little clutch at lower Arpee Emz.I quote from DirtWheels "The Tecate4, the fastest 250 ever made."All of them rip, some just more than others.Its great you show love where it is deserved,but don't talk about what you don't know.

Old 06-06-2001, 09:31 AM
87r
Range Rover

Pam,

I was sort of with you until you said that Banshees are slow. Then, I hate to say, I knew you were FOS. Having PERSONALLY been smoked by many a Banshee, anyone who says they are slow simply doesn't know jack. Heck, that is all they do well (go in a straight line) but they do it REAL well.

As Samson said, this has gone on long enough.

Old 06-06-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

<<Its great you show love where it is deserved,but don't talk about what you don't know.>>

Lets agree to disagree. But I DO know what I'm talking about.

Here's a rundown:

We have owned over 100 quads and motorcycles in the last 3 years (I don't even want to think about how many we've had in the last decade). We currently own everything from a 1914 Henderson inline 4 to a new DRZ400 and everything in between. Quads we have owned include the Tecate 4, the Sukuki 250 and Quadzilla, and still include the Tecate 3 (it's currently getting a KX500 engine), 1 Banshee, my conversion 350X, 3 250R's, and bits and pieces of some other stuff.

I have raced flat track in past years, but it got too expensive. I raced 250 intermediate on an R (B's to the east coast guys). I did okay. Switched to four stroke expert (not pro) for a year, riding my 350X conversion. Did okay there too.

I log at least 200 miles a month on two wheels (we dual sport and trail ride). Quad riding is mostly done at the Oregon Dunes (we try to go once a month), in the snow, and once a year at Glamis.

I'm ex-president (1998 to 2000) of our local motorcycle and atv club (over 100 families).

I work at a m/c and ATV performance shop as thier tech/sales person. I also built their website. My boss (who is my mentor) was the tech editor for Dirt Wheels and 4 Wheel action for years. I've torn apart and reassembled a few of my own motors - mainly four stroke, but also some two stroke stuff of course!

I've had the luck to be part of dyno testing and track testing on lots of stuff (stock and modified) over the last 6 years. It's part of my job.

Because I'm a "chick" it's easy for me to be remembered in this business, and I get lots of opportunities the average guy wouldn't be a part of. I'm lucky that way!

I've been able to feed my habit of loving quads and bikes, and also my need to understand how they work. I really don't play favorites with the Honda. It is my choice for dune riding, just because it fits me well. I like the chassis, and the power. I've left my 88 basically stock (all the basic bolt-ons and some porting), mainly because I like it's reliability, but it won't beat our Banshee (it's modified). We're not a "honda" family. In fact, my dirt bike will be going down the road next year and be replaced by a WR250F Yamaha (unless Honda comes up with something better).

As I stated before, we can agree to disagree, but don't dismiss my knowledge without understanding who I am! Just because I happen to be female, doesn't mean I'm not technically literate.

Old 06-06-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

man I was ridin down the trail on my recon yesterday and my damn hampster jumped out the back of the exhaust and took of....took me two damn hours to get him back..he was hidin...I finally shoved him back up the pipe and took off..lol

Old 06-06-2001, 05:15 PM
87r
Range Rover

Bottom line is a Banshee is faster than a 250R stock. That is probably the most commonly known fact that exists in ATV's.

This has nothing to do with your gender, either. If a cross-dressing transvestite she-male with 60 years experience in ATV's tells me a Banshee is slow then I am officially done listening to what that person has to say.

ps - and I don't even like Banshees.

Old 06-06-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Guys,

I don't agree with the statement about a stock 250r Fourtrax being faster than a stock Banshee. A stock 250r ATC maybe, but quad no.

However, Pam is probably one of, if not the, most likely person to be in the know about most everything related to dirt bikes and ATVs. She works at P O W R O L L (just in case this name is on the X list) as the tech you reach on the phone. I've personally had a few discussions and e-mailings back and forth and she has always been very honest and next on the order of importance, very understanding of how these things work.

Pam,

Different subject and wrong forum, but how are the big bore Raptor kits coming along? I know in the past that you said other manufacturer were having connectiong rod problems with the bigger pistons.

T.rinity claims around 63HP from their 680 kit including cam and head porting. I think they are using a JE piston.

What kind of piston are you using, and what kind of dyno numbers for torque and hp are you getting using hi-comp piston and cam, whether it be standard bore or big bore? You suggested that I wait about 4 months if I'm not sure what I want to do. It's been about 1.5 months and I'm getting the jitters..haha

Thanks!
Scott

Old 06-06-2001, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

A DRZ400 was mentioned somewhere along the line. It will probably stir things up, but my drz400 will spank any of the listed quads above... I thought I had a fast banshee....I walked it no problem. My bud has a pretty near stock 250r...I walked that with the banshee and the drz400. My 400ex is the slowest in the stable at this point. The blaster with a 240 kit in it is faster than the 400ex.
But you wanna know what....I think everyone is way too concerned with past this or present that. Another rider I know has a tecate that will for sure eat the 250r...it can hang with the banshee for a few..just not top end.(and yes...blows that puppy up twice a summer)
Enjoy what you have...who cares what is faster or slower. I bet 99% of the riders on this forum cannot ride the machine they have to it's limits...But yet everyone needs that new pipe and big bore kit.
Oh well...this is a funny post though...at least it started out that way.

PAM...I'm sure you know all about it...But the reason I love that 400 is the noise level...I use the stock pipe and love it in stealth mode. If you have not done it yet. Open the airbox 3x3...go with a 150main and 27.5 pilot. ("s" model) it's a whole new bike and still quiet. Suzuki did well with that machine...now if it could lose some weight. The kick and "e" model will benefit from the same mods...But different values for the jetting (higher) because of the different carb and hotter cams.

Old 06-06-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

<< Different subject and wrong forum, but how are the big bore Raptor kits coming along? I know in the past that you said other manufacturer were having connectiong rod problems with the bigger pistons. >>

Hiya Scott,

Well, we finally blew up the Nitros Raptor (it wasn't as bad as it could have been, the piston cracked but no bits fell off into the engine!), so that bore kit is in development as we speak. I've got the sample off to our piston builder. Should have some idea in about 2 weeks. We want lighter weight than what's currently available and hopefully we can keep the lower ends together that way.

That's the best thing about Nitros - you can damage a Nitros bike in two weeks and see what it normally takes 6 months to do to a regularly aspriated engine! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh yea, and it's kinda fun to ride that way too!

Sorry this is so far off topic!!!!!

Old 06-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

87R,,most of the posts on the yellow vs red 400ex were sarcastic posts. Not people with a lack of knowledge. I posted on that topic and people took me serious.

It is true that manufactures have been a bit timid about producing high speed quads. Suzuki was the only one with the Quadzilla. Yamaha is getting there, even though it seems they really restricted the power of the raptor. Maybe honda will come out with something to top it, or maybe they will be scared to produce something that quick (fearing lawsuits).

Old 06-07-2001, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad you have expierienced all that,it seems like you have had an exciting life, but anyone who has even a basic understanding of high performance ATVs knows that the Tecate plain ripped and the Banshee is not slower than a 250R.I did not &quot;dismiss&quot; what you said because you are female and by assuming that you are revealing an insecurity about your position. like I said before, you really shouldn't speak about what you don't know, you seem pretty knowledgable, don't spoil that by making ridiculous statments.

Quick Reply: YZ426 power