Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

YZ426 power

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can see where the lt/tecate/trx confusion comes from! a direct quote from may 1988 3&4 wheel action:
"First off, who has the most ponies? Low-end powerband tests consistently gave Suzuke a slight lead over Honda. Kawasaki's bottom end is improved enough from last year to allow a rider to have fun trail riding, but it still started out of the hole a little sluggish.
Once the rpm rises to the midrange, both the Tecate and FourTrax are dead even. Our test riders felt that they had to quick-shift the FourTrax becuase of the close gear ratios. The Tecate seemed to work better if you let it almost top our in each gear befoer shifting. Suzukis midrange was a bit more mellow and smooth. This makes the bike easy to control in woods-type terrain.
Top-end is one of the very few categories in which we gave a perfect score. The Tecate-4 in simply the fastest stock 250cc around. In our drag races it would blitz by the FourTrax and QuadRacer as they hit the higher gears. On the long-course drag race Honda's speed was respectabel in that it kept the Kawasaki in sight. But the QuadRacer was left in the dust on top-end.
Overall powerband awards are ginen to Team Green, with Honda sitting in the "almost slot," abd Suzuki holding its own in a close third."

Old 06-07-2001, 03:44 PM
87r
Range Rover

sayitFMF,

Not sure I understand what your point is about your dual sport DRZ400. Any bike will beat a quad. Race a new KX250 sometime with your DRZ, that should put things into perspective for you real fast.

Old 06-07-2001, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

2 different bikes buddy...I have a kx too....

I just figured since everyone was trying to be smart about quads...I would throw something different into the mix.... Oh by the way...the drz is faster than the 250...just not on an mx track. 4 stroke....2 stroke....big weight difference. Oh well..you seem to know it all.

Your not talking to someone who needs perspective....Been around the scene a while son.

all these posts crack me up...simplely put... pipe this...jet that...Now if you have a kx...come on up to district3 NY....we shall talk all about perspective... I race in the expert class...Do you?

Old 06-07-2001, 04:41 PM
87r
Range Rover

Say it FMF,

Lighten up, Francis -- sorry I struck a nerve. I am just bored at work and shouldn't even be here anyway. Besides, I am just some guy on the internet, you shouldn't let it get to you.

Now about your comparison: I just felt compelled to respond since you were talking apples to oranges with your bike vs quad comparison. My comparison was red delicious to yellow delicious, but at least they are both apples. I have ridden a DRZ - I might consider getting one when I am old. Wait, I am old. Well, I might consider getting one when I am REAL old.

Lastly, I am just a lowly +30B MX racer in District 17 in Il, not an expert like you. I humbly request your gracious forgiveness Mr. McGrath. Or would that be Mr. DeCoster?

Old 06-07-2001, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...I was wrong to compare my class...it does not matter what I race... I'm no pro.

I too am at work..and bored...and 29...not yet 30..but close.

Don't take my thoughts to the heart...I just vent once in a while after reading some of the things people have to say. Sometimes I pick the wrong person to vent on. I read some of the things that get posted...and wonder how some people even start their quad..I can't imagine them even riding one. But there I go again making fun of someone else.

I guess I can't win today.... But on another note...just because the drz is a dual sport...don't rule it out completely. I needed the dual sport for road legal reasons at my camp. They will not let me near the trails with a smoker. It is one fast machine once broken in. A few simple jetting mods open it up even further. Again...I'm no pro. It's good that we have this little forum....I would probably crack up if some of these posted questions were in person. It's easy to talk though when nobody knows who you really are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And believe me...I don't lose sleep over what others say.

hehe...if your not fibbing about your age...you should be calling me son. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Oh...and please don't compare me to McGrath...great rider...But I do not like him much...very cocky..even worse than me.

Old 06-07-2001, 05:24 PM
87r
Range Rover

sayit FMF,

I hear you about McGrath. He didn't have too much to be cocky about this year, did he? Maybe a comparison to LaRocco would have been better - now there is a champ even if he doesn't have the #1 plate on his bike.

No problem on the venting - that is healthy. Alot of times there are so many posts here to vent on that I don't know which one to attack. It is all in fun. 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or even 3 wheels, we are all in the same boat as offroad enthusiasts. Someday soon it will be all of us against the greenies trying to ban our trails. Hopefully then we will stop bickering between ourselves and show some solidarity.

I would love to get a dual sport and I was actually impressed with the DRZ although I only took it up and down a friends driveway - it was brand new so I couldn't romp on it either. As soon as some of this MX (YZF) thumper technology trickles down to a dual sport I will be all over it.

Yes, I am really over 30 and it is as bad as they said it was gonna be ... son! j/k

Peace, bro!

Old 06-07-2001, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

<< Oh...and please don't compare me to McGrath...great rider...But I do not like him much...very cocky..even worse than me. >>

I've met him a few times. He's actually very nice. Seems cocky on some of his interviews, but I guess I'd probably get pretty obnoxious after being asked the same 3 questions a kajillion times in the last 10 years.

After Vegas this year, he was really great. Talked with us for awhile, posed for pics (I'll post it if you wanna see it) and was in a very good mood considering Skip was in the process of removing the #1 from his number plates.

Old 06-07-2001, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey great battle you guys(&amp; gal). It was fun to follow. BUT it was alot more fun reading those posts that appeared at the beginning of this topic. I was howling and my wife kept asking me what I was laughing at. I thought she was taking a shower and I was alone to laugh to myself. Those were great! Some very ingenius ideas. Nice to see so many comedians out there. Too bad it had to get serious at the end. But that was fun too. I would also like to say that I hope that if we do have to start fighting to save our sport that I hope that we have the same fighting spirit there and that we fight together. If we could put all that energy exerted in which wheeler was best, fastest, etc. into one GIANT effort, the other side of our BIG battle would not stand a chance. See Ya. Ride ON(no matter what ya ride)!

Ray

Old 06-08-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Pam... Yes.I'm sure McGrath is a pretty good guy. He has seen his time though. Now it's time for the young guys. Charmichael..and the rest of the gang to see their light.

McGrath made his millions...I'm sure when he finally retires, he will open up some specialty shop, sit back and enjoy things a bit. This year was just an eye opener for Jeremy...I think next year...we will see a new champ for sure. Who knows.
I would not mind spending a day riding with any of those guys.They would beat me for sure...But where I live..It's very hard to find too many people with interest in my hobby.I'm sure I would have a great time with any of them. I really like the attitude of pastrana too...he seems like a pretty down to earth guy. I think most of the people on this forum probably are too...It's just easy to get your self into trouble when your not face to face with someone.

That post about mothers..fathers (above)...what have it..was totally worthless. But I guess some of mine have been over the years too. I gues it's to be taken with a grain of salt so to say.

Old 06-08-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

<< I really like the attitude of pastrana too >>

Yes! I agree, Pastrana has done more for the sport of m/x and freestyle than anyone else. He is just incredible to watch, and he's very down-to-earth.

When you talk to him, he asks more questions than you do! He still collects signed jerseys from his competitors. When I met him last year, he said, &quot;you do stuff for Scott Summers, he has got to be so cool!&quot; He really knows how to make you feel good.

What can you say about someone that's really that nice? Man, his parents really raised him right!

Quick Reply: YZ426 power