Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1986 250R VS 1986 LT250R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 04:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, enough of getting off the subject here. He said LT250 vs. 250R, nothing about a 300ex or 400ex, or blah blah blah. I owned both of these bikes as a matter of fact, and I raced them both many times. Flat out, when I raced them against eachother, the 250R had the LT250 by 3 or for bike lengths. The 250R had it from the jump. The LT was a fun bike to ride, but I think the 250R is a way better bike all around. Finally a straight answer from someone who REALLY knows.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:29 PM
CP
Trailblazer

I apologize for getting off the subject cause personally a think an R would take an LT250......in '86 BONE STOCK condition, though I have no proof. But, I think that you (whomever has there panties in a bunch over this) needs to go back and re-read what I wrote...months ago. I never said anything about a stock 300ex (not 400ex) against a modified '86 LT250. Which if yours (GaryManilow) was an EX-racer...how do you know what's been done to it? It could have motor mods that your unaware of. Oh, sorry to disappoint you but the 300ex was sold in June but I'm sure my buddy wouldn't mind racing you with his Raptor. Fact of the matter is (going back to the original question) -Yes the '86 suzuki (Bone stock, don't forget that part) is quick off the bottom, but falls short on top. This is why I made the statement that it only creeped buy the piped, airboxed, geared 300ex, cause my friend that was my experience.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am coming to the defense of my friend CP. You see I am the friend that he is talking about that used to own the 300EX. All he is saying is that when I was already in 5th gear and cruising down a trail with my GEARED 300 ex, that if he were to come up along side of me, he would only creep by. This is the truth, and his 86 lt250r kept up with a 94 banshee(STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in a short race. Notice I said kept up, not beat. And also short race, not a mile long were the shee would get into 6th gear and beat him.

That's why I no longer go on this forum, everyone talks about everything they barely know.

By the way Barry Manilow, I know you don't know crap, Taking a SUSUCKME over a Honda 250 says it all.

JS

p.s.
Everyone else, shut up!!!!

Old 08-09-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yep JS660R, your right I don't know anything taking a "Susuckme" over a 250R, proven right there.CP I know what was done to the motor because I took it apart and have seen everything in it.I would gladly race your Raptor JS, are you planning any trips to Silver Lake this fall? Maybe I should have made clearer what I was asking originally."BONE" stock is not my concern, if you run a 2stroke ATV in "BONE" stock condition you are a moron.Stock to me is in a non de tuned state of reasonable pipe and silencer,no snorkle and decent reeds.This is pretty stupid but I gaurentee you no 300EX REGARDLESS OF ITS GEARING would be anywhere near me at any time, that is just asinine.Everyone talks about something they barely know? Like what JS? Like a 12 HP kid bike keeping up with a 30 HP lighter 250 2stroke?

Old 08-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm also one who owned both quads, however either were stock. I can honestly say that I really disliked the 85LT. For several reasons. They have little front travel. They are front heavy, The 85 only had 5 gears and badly needed a 6'th and the chassis was junk. It apeard to have a pretty strong motor, but you could never find out what it was all about espially on a strong MX track, because the thing would beat you to death. I owned my LT250 for about 6 months, and regreted buying it from the get go. I sold my 88chasis 250R with a 86 motor at the beggining of the year and went back to on road to buy a 98ZX9. I can honestly say I miss that quad more than anything and still wish in many ways that I hadn't sold it. Espially for the price I let it go at. Everything about that quad was great. Flying manners, cornering, weight distribution. The bike gave you a real good workout too. I owned the 250R for more than 2 years. My two cents worth.

Old 08-09-2001, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

listen, my LT's only real performace mod was a silencer, i also had my airbox lid off but i was running WAAAAAY too rich. my friends 400 ha dthe airbox lid off, shaved fenders, and his spark arestor cut out. i smoked him start to finish on pavement both times we raced. he was probably running a little lean though. he said he didn't get a good start the first time so instead of just smokin him the second time i just stayed off the throttle till i was sure he was all set (i just stayed next to him) then i got on the gas and smoked him yet again. also i like the way my quadracer jumped more than the 400..it just seemed more predictable. i will say however that it seemed easier to get higher in the air with the 400.

Old 08-09-2001, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all those who are talking trash on the Suzukis, Im sorry but you are wrong and full of it. My 86 Suzuki has never had any motor work done to it and it still runs really good. After 15 years am I finally going to freshen up the top end, while my brothers 86 Honda 250r has been rebuilt twice. He only beats me now because his quad just got a fresh top end, and mine is still stock. My quad has never broken down and I have riden it hard in glamis and out on rocky trails. The handling is great and I love it so much more than the Honda. Hey Honda guys. The jokes on you. I bought a Suzuki for $700, put an FMF pipe on, then went out and beat $2000 Hondas. So go spend your money and I'll continue to beat your Hondas. Obviously if you honda is modified then its a tight race, but Dollar for dollar, your *** is mine. I have ridden many types of quads, and my wife has a 300ex and I blow by it, as well as 400ex's and I keep up with stock banshees. But of all the other quads I have ridden, I love mine the best

Old 08-10-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

no bob, the joke is on you. Sorry, but the 85 LT does not handle as good as the Honda. Also, the motor is not as good, why do you think Suzuki came out with the new suspension geometry and a new engine for 87? Last time I checked, NOBODY who races the Nationals runs an 85 Suzuki chassis...I guess they're just missing out huh?

I don't know about everyone else, but I get sick of the macho internet guys who say they're quads are so fast. Alot of us from the chatrooms (here and the source) are getting together for a big ride at Little Sahara in Oklahoma on the weekend of Sept. 13th. I welcome you all to come and join the drag racing, as there will be alot of it.

Old 08-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever, I know what I know. You ride whatever you want and I'll continue having a blast on my quad. Come out to Glamis and run with the big boys.

Old 08-10-2001, 05:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok CP, so you are wanting to line a raptor up to me. Go right ahead, I drag raced 2 of them in the past week. I got a few more mods done to my trike, I have a new clocked top speed of 105mph. I eat Yamaha's for freakin breakfast. I owned both bikes, and i didnt say jack **** about how any 300ex was modified or anything so i dont know where u came off talking about that. By the way, im working on a new project, im sinking a tweaked out 650 4 cylender into a 250R frame, so as soon as that one is done, I wont worry about losing to to many people. Flat out the LT250 was a pile of crap, if ur a real man u ride red.

Quick Reply: 1986 250R VS 1986 LT250R?