Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil in 400EX - 15W-50?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabe,

Please look at what you are saying against the thousands of ATV owners out there who have experience millions (if not billions) of problem free miles using conventional motor oil. With the vast majority using non-synthetics, the laws of probability dictate that there would be sustantial evidence use of conventional oil was causing premature failure of these engines.

Granted, synthetics do outperform conventional oil in extreme (heat and length of use) conditions. However, I feel that few non-professional riders are able to or would even wish to take their investments to such extremes.

Dan

Old 06-13-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Talk to the countless people on this forum and others that have switched to Mobil1 15w50 to cure an oil breakdown problem in the 400EX.

Mine first did it with approx 6 hours of use. In my opinion, engine oil should last longer than that. I still change my synthetic oil at about that much use, because of the dirt & racing it sees (more insurance).

Synthetic gives me a much level of protection at a very minimal price. Why would I use anything else?

BTW, go to the dunes sometime and observe the 4 strokes in action. Note how many are experiencing oil burn to the extent to produce oil smoke, even new bikes - especially air cooled units. Case closed.

If you don't ride your machine hard, more power to you. I bought my machine not as an investment, but as a toy. This toy gets used, very hard at times. I have broken down conventional oil, blown it past my rings & wasn't happy about it. The oil I am using now doesn't have this problem.

Do the math on oil temp numbers & tell me synthetic isn't a good idea in an air cooled ATV engine - you also alluded to the use of viscosity index improvers in your original post. You got it part right. One of the big advantages of a synthetic like Mobil1 15w50, is they get that spread without the use of ANY VI improver. VI improver's main problem not being lack of lubricosity, like you mention, but it's likelihood to allow the oils it's binding to break down easily into thier light weight base stocks.

We could go a lot deeper if you like, but again, I request you do the research yourself. There's a lot of good info out there on the web.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Gabe. When riding the dunes a lot, I found that the conventional oil was breaking down after ~4 hours. Not a problem wth the Mobil1. I have had no clutch slippage as some have feared.

For those of you with a new machine, I would highly recommend break in with a conventional oil prior to any switch to a synthentic.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

I highly agree with using synthetics. They stay "stable" under extreme conditions.

I would like to know why use Mobil 1? Why not another brand?

There is plenty of other synthetic racing oils for the same price. Like Maxima, Bell Ray and Honda's own HR 4(in the gold bottle).

Old 06-13-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Again guys, my original post gave no sign of disagreement that synthetic oil will outperform conventional oil in extreme (temperature and length of use) conditions. Still, I fail to see the evidence where historically speaking, conventional oil is not in any way unsatisfactory for most consumer applications.

I have noticed where the manufacturers of some high-performance vehicles (Corvette for example) now recommend synthetic oil in their engines. Still, one must wonder if this does not also serve as a marketing tool to help represent the vehicle as being such.

I enjoyed the exchange of comments.

Old 06-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Honda's 20w50, unless it gets below 32 degrees. I had a 300ex and that thing would just kill oil, I would turn it black in about 2.5 months. Then I tried the thicker 20w50 and it helped, you need the extra viscosity in an ATV engine. I tried Havoline synthetic oil a while back in another machine and noticed clutch slippage problems, I didn't watch the oil viscosity, or check to see if it was energy conserving.

I personally would never run a 10w30. I remember an article in Dirt Wheels that some of the engine builders say in high heat in an air cooled machine you can experience premature cam wear. I also think you are more likely to start burning oil since it's not as thick, it makes it easier to get by the rings. The only time I go down in viscosity is in winter when I can't run the thick stuff because it gets too thick for the oil pump.

Since all you guys are having good luck running Mobil 1, I might look into that. Is there a special grade or is there only one 15w50 synthetic? Some companies make special oils for different applications. Kind of like motorcycle oil.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

As for why i use mobil 1 is because it's readily available in the 15w50. I rarely see other brands with a thicker than 10w40 oil in synthetic.

As for...

<< Granted, synthetics do outperform conventional oil in extreme (heat and length of use) conditions. However, I feel that few non-professional riders are able to or would even wish to take their investments to such extremes. >>

What are you talking about dude? How exactly do you ride your quad? I don't know about you but i know that me and every other quad owner i have ever met ride their quads to the extreme. In my opinion thats the whole point of being in this type of sport, riding the quad at the extremes. Granted that some(many?) people like to cruise through the woods, but just think of how many people run at open throttle for extended periods of time at places like glamis, or the local track. I would have to say that the majority of quad riders do ride their quads to the extreme.......or at least I know that I almost never have my engine at below mid throttle. It's almost always at 3/4 to fully open. Maybe it's just me, but i truely doubt that.
Mike

Old 06-14-2001, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Yup, rarely under 3/4 throttle ever at the dunes... For our rocky AZ trails, I am under 3/4 throttle most of the time. So certainly the oil requirements will vary from one person to the next. But geeezzzz, these aren't like taking your Gandma's Buick down to the corner grocery. It aint marketing either. The 400ex air cooled engine runs HOT.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I would like to know why use Mobil 1? Why not another brand?

Good question...

It is because it is a VERY good oil at a good price, with excellent availability. If I get the urge, I can go to the local 24 hour Walmart supercenter at 3:00 and get oil for my quad.

Since all you guys are having good luck running Mobil 1, I might look into that. Is there a special grade or is there only one 15w50 synthetic?

It's the regular 15w50 with I believe a red cap, found at Walmart, Kmart, etc... Mobil also markets a &quot;V Twin&quot; 20w50 that is VERY similar, but at almost double the price.

Old 06-14-2001, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

<< Since all you guys are having good luck running Mobil 1, I might look into that. Is there a special grade or is there only one 15w50 synthetic? >>

Castrol syntec is 5-50, and even a 0-40 blend. This is what I run up here in the land of the midnight sun. No clutch slip or anything like that yet. My temps dont get to high, about high 40's at night and upper 70's during the day. But winter is where I really need it most, I stop riding at about -20 mean temp, because the win chill gets to bad when I am up on step, wide a$$ open.

Again I ask the question which I have not recieved a answer to, why not run auto oil in a quad or bike?

Quick Reply: Oil in 400EX - 15W-50?