Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil in 400EX - 15W-50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for where to get oil filters....
Fram makes one for the 300ex, and tons of others too. Just goto a autoparts store and have them look in the motorcycle section of their fram catalog. They are all in there!

Old 08-30-2001, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

<< If paying more for oil helps satisfy your ego while making you feel more like a &quot;professional&quot;, then by all means go for it. After all, those television ads cost a lot of money. >>

...well, atleast I know not to buy any of your equipment.

Do yourself a favor and do some research if you have feelings that strong against sythentic. You can also do a test yourself...take Mobil 1 and some conventional oil. Put equal amounts in something that will allow you do heat them up (very hot). Use an open flame to heat both oils...watch the convention oil break down MUCH faster and turn colors while the synthetic will hold its properties MUCH longer at higher temps.

Like we have stated before, your quad engine is NOT like your car engine. Like Gabe said, I highly doubt your toyota or lawnmower has been rev'd passed 5,000 RPMS most of its life and up to 9,000 RPMS when the only cooling is the air you breath. In cases like this, synthetic REALLY shows its true colors....

Another example of this is to look at todays race circuit (cars). Take any circuit...F1 for example...check and see what oil they use. And note that the engine is pulled apart after every race and they only put on a few hundred miles at the most (well before the so called &quot;oil change of 3000 miles&quot. Wonder why? Because of HIGH REV'in engines and stress....exactly what our ATV's are put through. Not as extreme of a case though....

I'd like to see you tell one of those engine builders that they are wasting money by using synthetic oil in their engines...LOL!

Eric

Old 08-30-2001, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you go back and read the original post you will see that my comments were made about a stock quad with a stock engine. My point remains that conventional oil is completely safe and 100% effective as an engine lubricant. There is no question that synthetic oil will outperform conventional oil in extreme (temp and length of use) conditions.

Keep in mind that if my memory is correct, Mobil Oil was taken to court and lost in trying to defend advertisements that appeared to show how conventional oil would break down in a frying pan under extreme heat. The opposing side showed in court that such a test was not a true and valid representation of the conditions found in the typical combustion engine.

If you are truly a professional and make use of high-performance engines that can benefit from synthetic oil you probably find no issue in my statements. Otherwise, you may be using synthetic oil simply because you want to feel like one.

Old 08-30-2001, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

I tried to stay out of this but my willpower finally failed me...

I have a 400ex with a stock engine. I would put new conventional oil in the bike and take it to the Dunes. After about 4-6 hours I would notice more engine noise and a dropping of power.

I switched to Mobil 1 15W-50. Never seen that previously consistent, repeatable problem ever again. My theory is that the oil was breaking down after 4-6 hours of hard riding at extreme engine temperatures.

Does that make me a professional? I wish. Does it work? Yup. Do I use it just because it is cool? I couldn't give a rats a$$. I use it because it works. If conventional oils work for you, go for it. I do use conventionals in my autos...

Old 08-31-2001, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

mobil 1 15w50 automotive oil causes the clutch in the DS650 to slip if the motor has any mods. This oil has friction modifiers and should not be used in wet clutch motors. Mobil makes a synthetic oil for motorcycles that doesn't have the fricton modifiers. Semi-synthetic might be a good compromise.

Old 08-31-2001, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

That's what they say about the 400EX's clutch too...

Actually, 15w50 is the only Mobil1 that does NOT contain friction modifiers. Friction modifiers are reserved for the lighter weight oils like the 5w30's (Energy Conserving II) recommended in economy cars. Note the lack of Energy Conserving labeling on the 15w50 variety of Mobil1.

I have a 40hp 400EX that's been running on the stock clutch for over 2 years, the first year on the stock engine and the 2nd on the modified engine. This bike is raced in 1 to 2 hour cross counrty events (probably 12 to 15 or more a year), as well as being my practice bike, sand dunes bike, etc.... In fact, I just got home from an ATV Rodeo event.

And people say the 400's stock clutch is weak....

The things that are the hardest on wet clutches is varnish and deposits, mostly from people that do not maintain a proper oil change schedule with conventional oil.

If your clutch slips with Mobil1 15w50 it needs upgrading anyway.

SpringDRL - you have an awful lot of practical experience here counterdicting what you and your theory's are saying about synthetic's use in a air cooled quad engine - maybe getting some experience beyond your current little world (utility quad?) would help next time you decide to start name calling and pointing your finger.

I guess if you ride your machine around like grandma (like your &quot;Environmental&quot; post suggests), you probably don't need the benefits offered by synthetic - some of us, on the other hand - DO.

Old 09-01-2001, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Honest feedback Quad1man. No doubt there are riders out there who really push the limits of their engines by riding in such harsh conditions.