Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best kids quad for the money...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001 | 10:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hi everyone. Just wondering what the best kids quads were out there. I have two little ones getting ready to ride, and am looking for the best 50cc and 70/80. I am mostly concerned with safety, and ease of use, and then of course quality. I know there are a lot of off-brands in the mini sector, some of which are decent from what I have heard. What are your thoughts?

Corry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2001 | 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

If I was you I would stick with the brand names, cuz all I hear is the Japanese minis are junk. You should look at the Honda 90.

Old 06-17-2001 | 11:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

I should probably add that my kids are 6 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old. My husband is of the opinion that an 80 or so would be OK for my 6 yr old. I am arguing that the 80 is too big, and she needs a 50. Anyone have wisdom to impart?

Old 06-18-2001 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Why don't you get one that has a parental limiter. You can regulate how the throttle opens up therfore limiting top speed. I'm going to do that in about a year when my kid gets old enough so she can ride. I'm getting her a Raptor 80 from Yamaha cause she loves the way a Raptor looks and wants hers to be the same way (much to my disappointment!) I was hoping she was going to like the Sportrax 90 in yellow like my new 400 EX but she wants the Raptor. Either quad is great and would reccomend those for you. Plus I heard the Caymans are pretty good. I agree, don't get the Japs minis, they are pieces.

Old 06-18-2001 | 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

WHats is the raptor 80?

Old 06-18-2001 | 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

The Raptor 80 is one of the "newest" quads from Yamaha. Actually, it is the Badger from the 80's with lookalike Raptor plastic on it. The Badger was a very good mini so I'm gettin it for her when she gets old enough. Check it out at Yamaha's website. Pretty neat!

Old 06-18-2001 | 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

i had a little yamaha moto 4 80cc when i was little, it had a throttle limiter on it, so i could only go so fast, but it was also had an automatic clutch, so i got used to having to shift. this all depends on weather you think your kids are ready to learn to shift yet. also, a great learner bike!! i'm not really up to date on all the newer kids machines, but i would also stay away from an off-brand bike. because a bike like a honda/yamaha/polaris would be easy to get serviced if it needed to be, or get parts for...and you know the name, so you know it's a good bike

sorry to run on...just my .o2

Old 06-18-2001 | 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

Defintely stay away from any e-ton quads, they are very cheaply made and will probably fall apart. I would recomend the Polaris minis cause they are autos and would be easier for kids to ride.

Old 06-18-2001 | 11:34 AM
|
Pro Rider

OK...after doing lots of looking and research last night, here are some of the ones I am interested in...The Scrambler minis, the raptor 80, and the Husky (4 stroke, american made, elec start!) I have also seen some cute Suzuki's.

It does make a LOT of sense to stick with known brands, for the parts and servicing reason - definately. It's tempting to go for a cheaper no-name one, but I don't want my kids riding cheap pieces of junk, either. I could just imagine how their little hearts would break if we got out to ride and one of their bikes broke!

This is helping me alot, thank you so much!

What about the T-REX? Who makes that one?

Old 06-18-2001 | 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

The T-Rex is just another Jap knock off. All the ones you seem interested in I would not think twice about getting. Good luck on your purchase!

Quick Reply: Best kids quad for the money...what do you think?