Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

99 400ex engine seizure(locked up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I post this to see if anybody else had this happen.

Being the proud owner of 99ex and having no problems till now,Here's how it happened.

After rushing to get going,Loading the trailer,Cleaning the air filter and having it dry off on the dashboard on the way up.Hitting a deer and smashing my grille and blowing out both high beams in my truck.We got to our destination,Left everthing on the trailer till morning.
Come morning,I unloaded it off the trailer.Sprayed foam oil on the air filter,Installed that.Then changed the oil and installed new filter(Filter installed right)then filled oil tank with 2.3 (per instructions)of oil.Started it up and it ran fine.Proceeded to gear up,and take off on our ride.One mile out it stalled,Wich felt odd because it never stalled before.Rolling I let the clutch out and pop started it,And everything felt normal again.Getting to the trail head, I'm the first in so I start to lay into it on the trail.Everything feels good,The oil temp was 175(curticy of new remote oil tank dipstick guage).I get to third gear doing about 40 mph then all the sudden.I hear this EAARRRRRRITTT!!!everything locks up and I slid to a stop.That's not a good sound I thought to my self?Thinking noooo! tell me this thing didn't just lock up!!!I pulled the clutch in and pushed the start button.All I heard was ;click dunt;click dunt;I just locked up my 400ex 4 miles out.&*&^%^$%#$@#.Done for the day!!!It's 8AM.

After getting towed back to camp by my bud,Who understaningly promply left to rejoin the pack(with my new gloves to boot)I didn't need them anymore.

Having the whole day to ponder with no spare parts.I happen to look at the old oil filter sittng in the pan glissning with metal shavings.Bearings downstairs in the motor,Somthing went?After it cooled down.I put it on the pavement,Put it in fourth and proceeded to push it backwards.The tires skided a bit then it unlocked the motor.I pulled the clutch,Hit the button and it started,But slowly.I then shut it back down.for fear of more damage.

It goes back to the dealer tomorrow,One month left on the warrenty with 900 miles on

Old 10-10-1999, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Write back and tell us what the dealer says

Old 10-10-1999, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Got back from the dealer today.

Turns out,That after the dealer broke down the quad,Took the motor out and split the case,They found the problem imeaditly.It seems that the main crank bearing cage that keeps the needle bearings seperated,Failed causing the needle bearings to come together grind,Then seize the crank.OOOOOuuuuuucccch!

Metal shaving's took out the cam,crank,rod,Scored the jug and the piston.All will be replaced under warrenty.The honda rep is comming in on Tuesday to check it out.Having the LRD header and exaust plus Dyno jet needle on third notch and 165 main jet,Did not matter.It should not have failed.(It did run verry good thow).Oh it had 22 inch hollshots on the rear and a 14 tooth sproket up front.

Looks like I may be getting that power up kit early,I'm gona take the credit for the honda parts,And apply it towards more high performance parts.Checking out parts now.
Any sugestions.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 10-10-1999).]