Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Really, how can I justify buying a Honda??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm....$6,999 for a Rubicon........$6,999 for a Grizzly. Now, what would you choose?? I hate to do it, but I've gotta get the Grizz. I've got a 400EX, CBRF4..owned 3 Honda cars('99 lude), Generators, power equipment etc...I am truly a Honda guy, and I'd love to be able to talk myself into the Rubicon or Rancher (only $1,500 less), but I can't. Wouldn't you say the Grizz (or Prarie for that matter) is a much better value?? How can I justify the Rubicon?...Help

Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-22-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Its tough, I eyeballed a new griz yesterday, and its all that. Still, Ruby has the finest auto trans in ATVing by light years, and then there's the legendary reliability. Seems like Honda is getting left in the dust, though, in terms of performance and bang for the buck. Yammy sez the Griz outtorques the 650 Kaw, wonder if thats accurate?

Old 06-22-2001, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

I gotta admit you are right!! Honda seems like they are always years behind everyone else in the ATV world. You would think since they are the best selling machine, their engineering budget would keep them ahead of the game?!?! I think it is time for Honda to WAKE UP. I had to settle for reliability when I bought my Rancher, but my next machine will have disc brakes, selectable 2x4 4x4, independent suspension etc. etc. etc. and if Honda doesn't step up to the plate, I will have to go Yamaha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

Old 06-22-2001, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Let's see, if you buy the Rubicon, you get:

drum brakes
non switchable 4 wheel drive
grossly underpowered
bolts that will vibrate out of the machine on the trailer on the way home.

a tranny that is not servicable, whole thing needs replaced

they are smooth, and ride nice, but I couldn't justify buying one if I had to pick between it and the new Grizz, for the same money.

Old 06-22-2001, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

I love my Rubicon, but if I were to get a new quad right now it would be the Grizz. It has discs, a locker, and IRS.

QuadMoron,

"grossly underpowered" - not mine....leave these statements for someone who actually owns one.
"bolts that will vibrate out of the machine on the trailer on the way home" - again....not mine. I have not had or seen this problem on any of the quads I ride with.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

grossly underpowered?........that's about the dumbest comment I've heard anyone make about the Rubicon-bar none. Bolts vibrating out? Again, where is your information coming from? I don't understand your problem with the transmission, it's new and if there's a problem, Honda wants to see what it is themselves, something many quality companys do when they have a new major component.

Old 06-22-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

A friend at my deer lease owns a Grizzy. No doubt it has a lot of power but boy is it loud. I kidded him that deer will have no trouble at all knowing when he is around. I also understand it generates a lot of heat on the rider.

The Ruby may have something going with the sealed and belt-less transmission. Still, I hate to play the part of guinea pig and buy the initial offering of any product, especially a big-ticket item like an ATV.

I should also add that a 400cc appears quite sufficient for nearly every job at our lease. In fact, I have yet to see anyone asking for the Grizz because a 400cc couldn't do the job.

Old 06-22-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a local dealer, my friend was offered a new Ruby, $6100 out the door.
Is $900 enough to change your mind? I don't know, the new Grizz looks pretty good on paper.

Old 06-22-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

IT'S HONDA!!!
Reliability.

Nuff' Said.

Just my $0.02

NT

Old 06-22-2001, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

There is no reason on Earth to buy a Ruby over the new Grizz even if you could find it 900 dollars cheaper, for 900 more you get, 160 more cc's better suspension a superior 4x4 system, discs all the way around and a better looking machine to boot. Plus it is the same weight so power to weight ratio will be much better than the Ruby. Honda a day late and a dollar short in the big bore 4x4 market.

Quick Reply: Really, how can I justify buying a Honda??