Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex oil capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 2001, could they of made the tank bigger?
Boy you wouldnt think so. You know these things are made from like 10 different plants and I wonder if something isnt different....
Some guys are saying they add it all at once and others say they cant, I mean this anit rocket science here, but something must be different. Maybe I will try the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
I also know according to the service manual there is a sump (crankcase) leveling system in the engine and maybe some of these are adjusted differently.

Old 06-25-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Some people might be using long, skinny funnels that reach farther down into the tank, instead of just inside. This can displace some of the oil, and make it seem like the cooler is filled further than it actually is. Just an idea?

Old 06-26-2001, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ok,
I called 2 dealers here in the grand rapids area and the first told me to put in 4 quarts, thats right and this was the service dept. The second told me to put in 3 quarts and don't be so fussy about it aint that critical and over filling is not a problem with these.......
I am now totally convinced that these dealers around here have no idea of what the hell they are doing!
I will not take there advice and I even tried tech support at honda and got no where.
How could a company with such a huge market not have any support!!!!
I will never buy honda again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All I wanted to know was why this thing doesent take what the hell the manual says it should take. You would not think it was that big of a deal for them to let me know.
I guess I will just have to continue to wonder??????????????????????????

Old 06-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Greatone, I feel your pain. I have no dealer support here in PA either. But think of it this way: 400EX's are SOOO reliable that most dealers don't see one on a regular basis! (unlike some other quads I won't mention[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Just dump 2 quarts of oil in the tank and go riding. Not 3, not 4.

2, TWO, DOS.

Also when you're checking the level, DON'T screw the dipstick in. Just drop it in and pull it out for the proper reading.

Old 06-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Greatone: Those dealers must be on some powerful drugs. You couldn't fit that much oil in there if you wanted to. I certainly think that this indicts the dealers, but I wouldn't banish Honda because of it. Luckily I have two decent Honda delaers I can go to. Now if I could just find a decent local Polaris dealer...

Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default need help

So I have a 03 400ex... I drained the oil out of both tank an motor because I was adjusting the valves. I got it all back together put 1.5 quarts of oil in it started it for a few mins checked it it was half quart low put the rest of quart in it an it brought it up to full.. I let it run for a few more mins check it agine it was good, so I road it down the road maybe a mile came back checked the oil and there was nothing on stick.. so I put a half quart i it an it filled it back up tuhe next day I check it it was good road it down road and checked it nothing on stick agine.. what would cause the oil to disappear like it is.. there’s no oil leaks or nothing An I don’t wanna keep putting oil in it an over fill it...

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by Greatone
Mine is a 2001, could they of made the tank bigger?
Boy you wouldnt think so. You know these things are made from like 10 different plants and I wonder if something isnt different....
Some guys are saying they add it all at once and others say they cant, I mean this anit rocket science here, but something must be different. Maybe I will try the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
I also know according to the service manual there is a sump (crankcase) leveling system in the engine and maybe some of these are adjusted differently.
No, the tank sizes on all the models are the same (unless aftermarket). I usually empty the tank, pour oil until it is almost over flowing, let it run about 5 minutes, fill it again until it is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the dipstick and then take it for a slow ride and check it a final time.

This has always worked for me