Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs CR125 vs CR250

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly I am purchasing a 2001(possibly 2002) 400ex in 81 days!!!

But my brother, who is a real two wheeler fan (he owns a R1) and has ridden a couple of banshee's says that they are nothing special and you can get away with a lot more on a dirtbike, also he keeps telling me that It will flip going around corners, I try to convince him but he won't budge. He says if you hit a jump even slightly wrong your f*cked. What is the deal, I love quads, but even a CR would beat it huh?

Should I change to a CR, I don't really want to.

Old 06-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Don't let someone else convince you to buy something based on what they like. You have to make the decision for yourself, if you like atvs better than dirtbikes then by all means get the 400EX you will be happier in the long run. Personally I have a 97 CR250R and an 88 TRX250R, I like them both but my favorite is the atv, because I have ridden atvs since I was 9. If I were you I would ride them both and make the decision for myself. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 06-26-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Different strokes for diferent folks. Some like 2 wheels some like 4. My son rides a CR125 and theres no way he would get a quad but he still enjoys riding mine once in awhile. A CR250 would probably take a quad in a drag but who cares. They're 2 different types of riding. We have a
Huevos II video here where Jeremy Mcgrath is talking about his quad and he says that jumping a quad is more difficult than a bike. Because quads are wider you can't always move to the outside or inside as easily as with a bike. You also won't lay a quad down and break the clutch lever off as much as on a bike though. Also you're alot less likely to screw up a knee or ankle on a quad. They're both fun, just different.

Old 06-26-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I gotta agree with lrc250 and crawdad. My brother races a CR250 and always says that he would never get a quad. The funny thing is though, that everytime I come around he ALWAYS wants to tool around on the quad. He says it's fun, but would never want to own one. It's hard to believe him, but he has been racing arenacross and local tracks for 5 years now. The point is, you NEED to try out both the bike and the quad. You will never know what what you want til you try both. Bikes are more versatile. Easier to go anywhere. But, it takes more skill to whip that quad around on a mx track than it does a bike. It is true that it is easier to crash a quad because of all the off-cambers, but you have to admit, they are a hell of a lot more fun. Let us know what you decide.

NT

Old 06-26-2001, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you are just going to be playing at the MX track, or Jumping all day then get a bike. If you want something that you can play around on and also go trail riding I would get the 400ex.

Bikes can go a lot of places four wheelers can't, but they are a pain for trail riding. I've also found that bikes (at least mine) like to be kept wound out all of the time otherwise you would be fouling plugs left and right.

As for speed, either of those bikes will beat a 400ex. My CR125 could beat my friends Banshee up to top speed, then it was dead even.

I went from a quad to a Bike, then I got back into quads again and I don't regret it one bit.

As for your brother saying that quads are harder to jump with, I don't buy that at all. Sure a 150ft table top might not be good on a (stock) quad, but jumps you come across on a trail are no big deal. A bike is just as tricky, if not trickier over jumps. The powerband on them takes getting used to, cause if you don't give it enough you are going to be going over the bars, but if you give it too much you'll be laying on your back. That is the same logic for a quad, but I think it's easier to get it right on one.

Well, the choice is up to you. I would rather have a quad though.

-Josh

Old 06-26-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I gotta go with 2001250EXrider's bro on this one. I agree that jumping a quad is much harder. When I run my CR125, it feels so much lighter (Maybe because it is). It is so much easier to correct yourself when you're in the air. Besides, if you don't hit a double head on with a quad...your done. You have to admit that squaring up four wheels is much harder than two. With my CR125, I can hit any of our doubles at a slight angle and have no prob landing. But, with my quad, if I don't hit it square...you know what happens. I've done it and have the bruises to prove it. You also gotta admit that when you are used to your bike (mechanics, powerband, etc.) it is far easier to run than that quad.

Think about the weight differences, the widths, power-weight ratio. The bike is obviously an easier ride.

I'm not here to start anything, just to help 2001250EXrider out, and I speak from experience.

NT

Old 06-26-2001, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks heaps guys, great responses, I still racking my brain, I can't figure it out, I still love quads. I don't know.

Get back to you later

Sam

Trending Topics

Old 06-27-2001, 06:01 AM
Trailblazer

I have come to a half sort of conlusion, How much more dangerous can a 400ex be if even a cr has better accelaration and top speed, would you not get your self in just as much trouble, if not more on a light really fast bike. My bro's main concern is that when they roll, they take you with them.
Is this true?

Sam

(only ever rolled one on a slope and I jumped off first)

Old 06-27-2001, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

First off, any quad regardless of the speed can be dangerous. I know a guy that would figure out how to get himself hurt on any quad on the market.

You can bail off a quad if it is going to roll. However, the point is DON'T ROLL.

Good luck with your decision.

-Josh

Old 06-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Depending on your experience, quads are rather safe. Don't worry about rolling over. Once you get used to it, all you will want is to go faster. As far as the quad taking you with it in a roll....only if you let it. Don't worry about rolling, worry about deciding what you want.

GO FOR THE QUAD!!!

NT

Quick Reply: 400ex vs CR125 vs CR250