Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting a Rancher, but have a few questions. My main concern is that I do a lot of trail riding, and at times I like to pick up the pace and ride aggressive, will the Rancher allow me to do this or should I go with the Wolverine. What is the top speed? I ride a lot in the mud and snow, will the Rancher get me through? Also, to all Rancher owners, what do you like and dislike about the Rancher?? Anyhelp will be useful.

Old 07-25-2001, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey- I got firsthand experience in this, my riding buddy, my Nephew, has a Wolverine. He totally stomps my butt!!!! More power, maybe not more torque, I dunno, but he can smoke me in a straight line, I mean dogwalk...no doubt about it. Now I like my Rancher, and I wouldn't for one minute not buy it again, but, it ain't a hotrod!!! It feels like the Rancher is geared lower, though, and I think it helps in climbing. Two weeks ago we went to a national forest trail, it was real technical, lots of twisties, and he could hardly keep up with me. Now he has about 4 years on quads and I have about 2 months worth, and he had to really work that Wolverine to keep up with me. But get on a straight, I'm huffing to keep him in sight. If ya want speed, in that class of quad, IMHO the Wolverine is king. Now also factor into this that I am a heavyweight (260) and that certainly matters too.
Now , what I like about it:

ES- Rules!!! I LIKE shifting with my finger instead of my feet. I don't care if my feet get wet or not, and you get full foot boards with it too, it keeps sticks from spearing my feet.
Big Fenders- Keeps the muck offa me, I like that too. The Wolverine fenders WILL get you wet and muddy.

Dislikes-
Power- Needs more, but then there could never be enough. My top speed so far is about 46, and thats on a gravel road.

That's it , and remember this is all in my limited experience.....

Old 07-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

Get the wolverine you can even jump them do to the sport like suspention on it and it probly has a faster top speed and may be lighter!!!

Old 07-26-2001, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

I would go with the Rancher 4x4 ES, I was going to get a wolverine but the Rancher has more GC then the wolverine so better in mud and snow, the rancher is still a light 4x4 so you can stay on top of mud and snow compared to a sportsman (lol) (I know that from experience with my dads SP500) and the new 4x4 system does work. (If you get the Honda and are stuck, sometimes the wheel in the air will spin but just tap the front brake and you will see the motionless tires start to turn). Hope this helped a little.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher differential is superior, but it still does fight you some at low speeds especially with big tires. The Wolverine is really only a 3WD.

Old 07-26-2001, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

I just went through the same decision - Wolvy or Rancher. It all came down to where I ride. I ride very technical logging trails, mud bogs (a lot) and some open trail riding. If you are more a rock hopper and trail breaker/mud bogger, then go with the Rancher. I did and I love it. Reasons it's better in this situation:

bigger tires
better skid plates and mud protection
more ground clearance
ES shifting ROCKS!!!
geared lower (way lower)
better front wheel drive traction

If you like to add bigger tires and ride the mud like I do, then the Rancher is a no-brainer. If you do some muddin', but a lot more fast-type trail riding, then go with the Wolvy, but don't listen to those who would say that it will keep up with other 4x4's in mud, it isn't true (face the facts Wolvy owners - I love that machine, but all the things above and more are working against it in the mud). The wolverine kicks the Rancher's butt in a race, but I'd be more apt to "race" in the mud than anywhere else. The reason the Wolvy is faster is because it has a lot more mid and upper-end power and zero low-end power. The Rancher has a lot more low end and that is what made my mind up.

Trail rider = Wolverine
Rock/Mud rider = Rancher [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2001, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for the help, you've brought up new points that I didn't think of before. I still haven't made up my mind yet, nor have I rode either machine, but all the imput has been helpful. THANKS

Old 07-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ride them both ASAP!!!! both are great quads. most of the above posts hit the nail on the head. Ranchers are great for mud and trails riding. Wolvy's are great for fireroads and power/gas lines.

Which ever you get I highly recommend a set of CV boot gaurds. Trust me, CV boots are a pain in the **** to replace.