Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Power Valve cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will relay this info to him. Eric, I am hoping you will be at Tigerton tomorrow, we can discuss this further. Let me know.

Old 07-28-2001, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Lasher:

In response to your question regarding CR cylinders on a TRX bottom end, yes it will bolt on, however, the powervalve assembly is rendered useless because the TRX bottom end doesn't have the components necessary to actuate it. When its done, the power valve is removed from the cylinder and the side ports are blocked. So, unfortunately, it's simple, but not that simple. When the 2002 CR comes out, the potential exists for the TRX owner to have a TRUE powervalve cylinder. There are plenty of advantages to the 2002 set-up. The current CR set-up is mechanical, and works off of engine RPM. Unfortunately, the set-up is kind of "all or nothing", the powervalve is either open, or closed, and not really anything in between. The exact RPM at which the powervalve opens is inconsistant, too, which can lead to some unpredictability when riding. The new, electronic powervalve will be set-up in such a way that it can be open, closed, or anything in between (huge advantage there). Also, it will be consistant, the power valve will open the same amount, at the same time, everytime. The black box will become a more powerfull tuning tool because you will now be able to not only adjust timing curves, but also the power valve "curve". You will see a lot of tuning being done with the powervalve on the new CR's. The down side, unfortunately, is that it will probably be at least as expensive as the current pressure actuated powervalve cylinders available for the TRX now. It will be a true powervalve cylinder "package", and it will actually work as intended. The potential exists, but the practicality of it (pricewise), has yet to be seen.

Hope that clears things up a little.

lump-dog

Old 07-28-2001, 02:09 PM
87r
Range Rover

I just took a look at the 2002 CR 250 and realized something. It uses case-reed induction. The reed cage goes directly into the cases so the cylinder will never work on a TRX bottom end.

Old 07-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

That's correct. Keep in mind the cylinder is not the advantage here, its the fact that the powervalve is operated electronically using servo motors and the black box. The benefit to the TRX owner would be to use a 2001 (or older) CR cylinder and powervalve "guts", only control it with the 2002 CR electronics. It would certainly be a hybrid, but it would be using the best of both. It will be possible, and it will pricey. More expensive than the current attempts at a powervalve cylinder for a TRX?, I dunno, time will tell.

lump-dog