Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do you get a bolt out of your engine when it snapped in half??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I snapped a bolt for my exhaust header pipe in half, most of the bolt is sticking out, just the head of it broke off, How would I get it out??...It's stuck in there good, it wont budge, I tried to twist it out with vise grips but it didnt work. I was thinking maybe brake the bolt off flush with the engine then drill out the bolt using drill bits smaller then bigger and bigger until it just falls apart, but I wont use too big of a drill bit so I wreck the threads.

What do you think??

Old 08-18-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok heres how I did it when the exhaust bolt snapped on my recon. I went to the hardward store with the one that didn't brake and bought a nut that fits on there and I welded the nut on to the snapped off stud and then I put some stuff on there called liqud torch (penetrating type stuff) and then let it sit for 5 minutes then I carefully turned the welded on nut and it came right out. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2001, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

you could saw the part thats sticking out off then drill the rest of it out....

Old 08-18-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Good idea Killer250R, I will probably do what juggalo said, I was going to stick with that idea but I wanted to see what else I could do.

KILLER250R--Can I use stuff called JB Weld...would it do the same thing, and hold just as well better or worse??

Old 08-18-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Man whatever u do you don't want to drill that thing out. Heres what I would do. Get some red loctite or JB weld a nut onto it. Let it dry then turn it out instead of welding. Either one should hold just fine.

Old 08-19-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

here is what i did,

i took off my top end. Got it mounted in a drill press..drill outed the old bolt, threaded the whole, then put in a piece of all thread. Looked like new!

Bunch of work though

Old 08-19-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Yea that JB weld will be fine. It should take it out , but if it doesn't then you have a few more options. Here they are , 1 you could do what juggalo said and just hope you dont F up the threads 2 you could do what 94dgblaster said , or 3 if you go to sears they now make these special drill bits that are made for taking out broken peaces like that , I have never seen them but I was told that they grib into the metal and twist it right out. And the last option you have would be to drill it out and then tap the hole. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out for ya , good luck. Zeebo

Old 08-19-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

There are special drill bits made that drill in to the bolt, get a bite & back it out. Maybe Sears or Ace Hardware or Napa has them in your area?

Old 08-19-2001, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer

The best thing to do is to load it into a truck or on a trailer and take it to a good machine shop and tell them to get it out. It's not something you want to screw up and it can happen real easy trying to drill it out yourself. The gizmo that Andrew Thomas is talking about is called an EZout but you don't want to use one of those on a bolt that's frozen in place. You have to drill a hole in the end of the bolt and run the EZout into it but if your bolt won't come out with vice grips then it won't come out with an EZout, plus you'll run a really high chance of breaking the EZout off in the bolt, then you're screwed because it's hardened steel and there's not much that will drill through it. What I'm saying is that something like this is really easy to screw up and it'll end up costing you a lot more money than the $10-$20 that a machine shop would charge you.

Old 08-19-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I'll just do what KILLER250R said. I'm not spending money on a machine shop just for this, this ATV's getting old, no need to spend money on stuff like that.

I just wanted something cheap and cheerful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How do you get a bolt out of your engine when it snapped in half??