Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon Troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I posted here about my Recon not starting amd idling well a few months ago. Still having troubles and hoped maybe someone could help. When it's running, it runs great but every so often it just dies! It's hard to start. You can get it started with the choke but as soon as you unchoke her the engine just idles down and croaks. I thought I noticed that if you turn the fuelcock back & forth a few times it seems to help. Maybe having trouble getting gas? I don't know. Let it set awhile and it fires right back up and runs good. It's a 2001 with maybe 400 miles on it and I've taken good care of it so far. I hauled it into the dealer once but of course it ran good for them-they checked the carb and replaced the plug anyways and the next day it ran just as lousy as before. Like I said-it seems like it's not getting fuel.
We like this quad but I admit I'm getting a little disgusted. I'm not used to having this kind of trouble with a brand new machine. Now I never leave home without the tow strap becuase I know we'll probably need it. See if any of you guys can help me out. It's probably something simple to fix but d*mned if I know what to do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2001, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

H.H.--- Check for dirt and water in the fuel. Take the petcock strainer bowl off and look in the bottom, you'll see the dirt/water. You may have to take carb float bowl off,too. If that all checks out, the next step would be to clean carb(or take to dlr. to have it done) Checked the air filter lately???

Old 08-21-2001, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks trh-I did check the air filter & it looked ok. I guess my next step will be to tear in to the carb.

Old 08-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Try turning the idle screw out and that should solve your problem.

Old 08-21-2001, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

almost sounds like maybe vent for the carb or tank might be messed up.have you drained the float bowl,when it quits try draining it after she quits,ck see if you get any out of it .

Old 08-21-2001, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

try draining the carb.

Old 08-22-2001, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Guys thanks for the suggestions-I'm gonna work on it again this Friday (day off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ).

Old 08-23-2001, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

HillHound, You say that your ATV runs great but then sometimes just dies. If it runs well for a while before you have trouble, the carburetor is probably adjusted properly. If you can restart it with the choke on only, then it is definitely starving for fuel. Since it is a gravity feed to the carburetor, the next time it quits, take off the fuel line at the carburetor. If there is fuel flow, the problem is in the carburetor. The needle valve may be sticking closed. If you aren't familiar with carburetor work, you are better off to take it to your dealer and tell him what you found. If there is no fuel flow, there could be something in the tank that sometimes blocks the fuel flow. Make sure there is nothing in the tank. Another quick check is with the fuel line off when it quits, take off the gas tank cap. It is possibly not venting, causing a vaccum. Taking it off will let air into the tank so that the gas can flow again. If one of these things isn't the problem, check the line and the valve. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2001, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would try taking the gas filter screen out and making sure its not clogged before tearing into the carb. I used to have trouble with my carb on my dirt bike So I took it out and know it doesn't start.

Coltrane

Old 08-30-2001, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

Here's an FYI for all the Recon owners and guys who replied (Thanks for the help) to my post. Finally I got sick of fooling with our Recon and took it back to the shop again. I talked to a Honda mechanic who seemed sincerely concerned with it. I told him how it seemed to be starving for gas and he fiddles with the fuelcock for a minute and said "I can tell you already the fuelcock assembley needs replaced". He said my Recon is about the third or fourth he's seen with bad fuelcock valves and he said he would go ahead and order a new one before he even tore the machine apart. So it will take about 5 or 6 days to get the new assembly but the good news is that the Recon is still under it's warranty.
Hopefully this will take care of it for good. I hope so-it's my wife's ride and she hates to be broke down on the trail LOL!! We both like the Recon alot so I hope (fingers crossed) this is the fix! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]