Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I am now joining the ranks of the Honda riders.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 10:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally have a 250r to race. It isnt really mine, but my boss is sponsoring it to me for racing. Basically it is stock but has some porting work and a new reed cage, also a larger carb. I plan on getting +2 +1 burgard A-arms, Ohlins front shocks, Fullbore blue plastics, Bills pipe and silencer, and probably more. You guys have any more suggestions. Oh yeah, I already put holeshots on the rear and grooved riken radials on the front. Thanks for any help guys, I am now a proud Honda rider!

Old 09-07-2001, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

If you are headed toward racing MX, I would concider a different shock. Ohlins are more of a XC shock. I would look into the Elka, TCS, Custom Axis line. You will also need an axle, swingarm, kill switch, nerf bars, and an extra large set of Cajones.
Looks like you going in the right direction. Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help. The reason I was going to go with ohlins is I can get a set cheap. Now, is the 86 or the 88 swingarm shorter? I cant remember which one it is, but the shorter one is the one I want. Already have the tether and nerfs taken care of. I used to race MX with my warrior until I siezed the motor. Again, thanks for the help, keep em coming.

Old 09-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on getting a practically free 250r to race! Must be nice!
Your choice of equipment is good, although I have to agree that if I were spending the money, I would get PEP or TCS shocks instead of the ohlins. There is nothing wrong with Ohlins shocks, dont get me wrong, just that the TCS or PEP setups allow your quad to sit lower which helps handling tremendously.
Are you racing XC or MX events?

Old 09-07-2001, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

I am racing MX. Actually, I am racing it tomorrow so I can get a feel for it and get used to the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke difference. After that, I will know a little better what I need for it.

Old 09-07-2001, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Have you ever ridden a 2-stroke before? If not, I wouldnt suggest going racing for your first time on one without some experience beforehand. I did that on my 250r, in fact I was just on my practice track racin a friend on a 250x and went over a jump and didnt have it in the powerband and nosedived, I was ok, just scratched and bruised, but it busted my helmet in 3 places, I was real glad I had it on.

If you do race, and havent ridden a 2-stroke, just keep in mind to keep it revving HIGH. Where you would probably shift on your warrior is where the power is coming on in a 2stroke, you cant lug it up a jump, blip the throttle and sail like on a 4-strke, its a whole new game.

Once you get used to the power though, I think you will like it more than your warrior, I know I like it way better than my old 4-stroke, the screaming top end, and the arm jerk are AWESOME.

Good luck tomorrow. I was suppsoed to be racing my friends dad's 250r tomorrow since mines bein rebuilt, but its pouring like a SOB right now and supposed to keep goin all damned night.

Old 09-07-2001, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advice, I am going to practice on my teams practice track. I am not gonna do any jumps or anything, just get used to the power delivery and handling. I am racing the C class tomorrow and I know the people racing in that so I may not fair that badly without jumping. I catch on really quick so I may be able to jump before the weekend is over. I just need time. Well, thanks everyone and if there is anything else, let me know.

Old 09-07-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Once you get used to the pull of the powerband, you should be able to jump. Just get to know the motor. Know when the power is on(DUHHH) and know when it's coming, and get ready for it. When you can feel the motor, you can jump! It's easy!