Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed um...

Old 01-17-2002, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

hey bro... im in the same shoes you are.. or at least i was... my dad had an 86 R lying around and i wanted to get back into duning.... i had an R a few years back but sold it and havent been on one for abour 5 years... my rebuild is almost done .. just waiting for a few more peices to come in and hoepfully i can be in glamis by easter, my original goal was for presidents weekend but work is going to put a damper on that.. i went the more expensive route while restoring and have already put about 4K.. and i havent even gotten to the motor.. but overall im happy and its been worth every penny you can check out the link below to take a look... its been restored from the ground up and about the only thing stock is the motor.. every thing else is aftermarket.... if you have any questions about whats available or need any tech help send me an email.. i will be happy to share anything that i have learned from my rebuild

Old 01-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Damn, that's sweet!! Is that the stock frame?

Old 01-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

looks like a stock frame to me

Old 01-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey elsancho, Nice quad! right now im trying to figure out how im gonna clean the gas tank.. Thinking of mabey buying a larger aftermarket one... I think thiers gunky gas in thier and its not comming out. iv tryed filling the gas tank and tried flushing it out several times. Big mistake keeping gas inside the tank while storing it. iv got the carb pretty clean. So far all i think I need to get or do is gas tank,sparkplug,change tranny oil, Il be ridding at glamis too. already got some sand skates II's. Also I have never ridden the beast yet.. ODnt think it will take long to learn though. Iv rode quads way back in the day though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . any ideas on what Else I might need to do ? i dont really care about anything performance right now i just wanna get her running good.

Old 01-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for checking out the bike, glad you liked it. gastanks are readily available on ebay or you can get a N.O.S. ona at www.cal-atv.com ... another thing you might want to take a look at is your brakes.. when i first started putting mine back together i realized my rear master cylinder was frozen... while my brakes were disassembled i went ahead and replaced brakepads and any rubbr seals and boots, as well i also greaed up the guide pins for the pads, other than that just make sure everything is all lubed up and make sure your chain is tensioned correctly. from teh loosk of teh pic you have great quad to start out with..looks almost exactly how mine started out. good luck

Old 01-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

Got another question.. I somehow broke of the little peice on the carb thats sticks out right in the middle on the bottom side after you take the bowl off. How can I fix this ? Im thinkin of just jb welding it back on any sugestions ?

Old 01-18-2002, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

probably be better not to jerry rig it back together.. im sure you can by a used carb off ebay for around 30 bucks

Old 01-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I didnt really wanna spend alot on putting it all back together. But I guess i could check out ebay for a used working carb. Also what type of oil do i use for the tranny?

Old 01-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

You're in luck, there is a stock 34mm carb on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...mp;r=0&t=0

As far as the transmission fluid, I use Honda's HP2 fluid, it's 80/85W weight. It has always worked great for me.

Quick Reply: Help with starting an old 87 250r!!