Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Not very impressed with the 2002 400 EX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on a 2000 Blaster since it was brand new and I rode a brand new 2002 400 EX the other day and was not impressed at all. It felt like it had no power at all. I think I'm just used th the two stroke powerband. Hits much harder. The Ex's suspension felt much better and the brakes actually worked (unlike the blaster). I did like the feeling of the shifter and clutch, I just wasn't impressed with the power. Note: The blaster has been rejetted and had no air box lid. It also has a Bills silencer with the stock pipe. The 400 EX was completely stock (Less than 10 hours off the show room floor).

Old 09-24-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Your problem is easy, you have whats clinicly known as "a two stroke addiction"
I now own a four stroke, and still a recovering addict.
Let me know if you find a cure!

Old 09-24-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

ya, you can really tell the differnece when you have the power of a 2 stroke trx250r, and a 4-stroke Rancher 4x4.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Yah riding the power band is a thrill extremely hard to duplicate.
Now your going to here some flac fot this but, all these sport riders and manufactuars wish is they could duplicate the rush of a two stroke.
I've been re-learning how to ride with the four stroke under me, although it's a hole different ride.
Both have thier pros and cons, the way emissions regs. are going we will all be talking of two strokes as a past tense to soon.
Unfortunetly for you either buy your self a banchee or join us strokers.

Old 09-24-2001, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I have the same problem too! I use to ride a 250X and I thought it had decent power and now I have stepped up to a 250R. When I let my friend ride it and I ride his 300ex it's like driving around on a moped. It wheelies and all but it just doesnt have any power compared to my R. I am not trying to bash the 300ex in any way I like 300ex's but man o man do I love 2 STROKE POWER.

PS In dirtwheels i always use to read about people raving about 2 strokes rule and all that and I just thought those peple were idiots but now I can see why ! LONG LIVE 2 STROKE THE KING !!!

Old 09-24-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

i want a 2-stroke badly, theyre cheaper to mod and fix...

Old 09-24-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

guys I don't have time to write at this time butttttttt, Growing up when four strokes were a realy sick joke then drag racing a kawi 750 triple two strokes, I don't want to hier your belly aking.
The worst thing about riding a stroker now is, I can go back 20 years and even wipe a raptor off the face of this earth.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

i know what you mean, i ride with raptors and 400exs every day. after stepping off my heavily modded kawaski 125, onto the 400ex i soon noticed i had a wider powerband, a more .. usefull powerband. same speed, but probobly had more power, it just doesnt have that snap-like feeling, i think its just our adrenaline rush, when you snap a 2stroke, your not prepared for the jerk it brings. when you snap a 4 stroke, it has to catch up, revs slower, and doesnt give you that motocross like snap, some say that smoking is bad for your engines health, or, once i heard this guy say why stroke it twice when you can stroke it 4 times? it would be nice, if there was a handlebar-mounted, push-button on/off 2/4 stroke, that would change the engine timing from 2 or 4 stroke with the click of a button. but honestly, why do we like 4 strokes? i like the buff, low beefy sound to a 4stroke, much quitier too, but i like the power of a 2stroke. if i had to choose between 2 or 4, i would get a KTM SX 125 for 2, a raptor for 4. my fav quads are big bears, 300 4trax 2x4's, yamaha warrior, yamaha raptor, honda400ex. and another thing, i dont like it, when a sport quad doesnt have reverse! what the hell?! if anything?! shouldnt it HAVE reverse i mean, just because the quad cant go the opposite direction doesnt mean it is less sporty! wouldnt it HELP? i mean, sport quads i think would get stuck more often having smaller tires, and maybe you needed to turn around in a forest, or if your racing, you brake hard and miss a turn not having the time to get off and push. i think ALL quads should have reverse.
i rest my case...

JM2C

Old 09-24-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

I bet you were going a lot faster than it felt on the 400ex because it has a broad powerband and a lot better handling. I have rode a stock blaster and it didn't have any hit at all and my knees kept hitting off the front plastic and i felt really cramped but i am 6 3. It sounded like a choking chain saw with the stock pipe. But I rode a piped banshee it sounded like a rabid animal and definitly has a huge hit that will rip your hand off the clutch power in the midrange but the power died off in the top end. It had low end pipes on it though. 2 strokes rule.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

You guys should check out a Cannondale (though I havent got a chance to ride one with the new EFI mapping, so it may be different). They have some of the best of both worlds in my oppinion. They rev quick and high,have the best throttle response ive ever felt, have a hit in the midrange, and are light. Also, they have that great 4-stroke engine breaking because of the high compression, so you can keep on the gas longer going into corners. Everyone thats rode mine that rides a 2-stroke loves the engine. They dont have that "all torque" feeling of a 4-stroke.