Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Alaskans get $1,850 each from Permanent Fund. Recon or Rancher ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the time has come for me to purchase a new Quad. I need a new backup for my 250r. I have the cash for a new 2002 Recon since I have been saving my oil revenue money for the last couple of years. The Recon is almost the same size as my Honda 200 and the size is perfect for me. Is the Rancher worth the extra $900.00 and it seems so much bigger which I am not sure I need? I am keeping the 200 in case my in-laws come over so they can suffer on it. Thanks

Old 10-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Rancher, unless you are REALLY on the small side. It has better suspension, power, payload, dry-sump engine, etc., and it's surprisingly fast.

Old 10-12-2001, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

We didn't get that much this year.

Old 10-12-2001, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

its to bad im not alowed to spend it.......

Old 10-12-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I have a Recon as a second quad and it is great, but the Rancher offers a lot more in most every department. It comes down to your priorities and what else is competing for your money. But you won't be unhappy with a Recon -- you'll just find the Rancher a solid notch better.

From your name I suspect you're an Imus fan. Better that than a "fat loser" or "lying weasel."

Old 10-12-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have ridden a 2001 Honda Recon and a 2001 Honda Rancher 4x4 ES. I liked them both. I felt the suspension was a little better on the Recon. But a 2wd Rancher might be better suspension wise since its lighter. I know that the Rancher was deffinately faster. It just didn't wind out as fast as the Recon. I did a drag race with me on my brothers XR80 and my brother on the Recon and they were even until around 5th gear then the Xr80 jumped ahead and never looked back. I don't know if the same results would happen on the Rancher, I doubt it actually. I guess what I am saying is go for the one you like better. My personal preference was the Recon because it was sportier.

Old 10-13-2001, 12:45 PM
BK
Pro Rider

Since you are coming from a 200 Honda the Recon will feel like a great improvement(I have owned both ). It has more power and a better ride. It also has better mud protection. I haven't ridden the Rancher so I can't say too much except it will be bigger and stronger and has better ground clearance. You might also consider the 250EX. It is lighter and faster as well as looking great. It has much better front brakes than the Recon since it uses disc instead of drum brakes(the only complaint I ever had with the Recon was about it's front brakes). Any of the three will be a big improvement.

Old 10-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

01TRX300EX thats odd that the XR80 beat the recon. I had a recon and my friend had an XR100 and my recon smoked him in s trait line drg race to top speed. Must just be a differenc in riders. Zeb

PS I liked my recon but I would much rather have a 2X4 or 4X4 rancher over the recon.

Old 10-13-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

It may have been a difference. I am a lot better at shifting than my brother and I might have shifted more towards peak power than him. I figured the dirt bike would win because the Recon is about 4 times heavier and not 4 times more displacement. When I rode the Recon (non drag race) and it seemed like the Recon wound out faster than the dirt bike did. But I much preferred the Recon for woods riding. Sorry to go off topic by the way.

Old 11-17-2001, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

I own both, a Recon and a 2x4 Rancher TM, and I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. My use is primarily on a Montana ranch so can't and does not involve wheelies or jumping but the terrain is rough. The Rancher is a little more comfortable when hitting bumps, has a lower 1st gear. The Recon is lighter, easier to manhandle, takes less space in back of the pickup. Both turn sharp enough. Both have enough power for my needs although the Rancher seems to be reving less at top speed (maybe not but it seems that way)
The Rancher has more ground clearance and I have driven though small trees and brush with it whereas the Recon sometimes gets hung up in the same conditions. The Recon is a very good choice but if I could have only one it would be the Rancher. Have had no mechanical problems with either one.Text

Quick Reply: Alaskans get $1,850 each from Permanent Fund. Recon or Rancher ?