Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

auto clutch vs manual clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I stated earlier, I,ve ridden for many, many years, and to see the last two comments, I was just like both of you three months ago.

Killer250r,
Even know we ALL seem to know what you ride, your statement of pulling the clutch in, revving it up and popping the clutch to get over what ever your trying to get over.
That is a dead give away of a two stroker!

As far as you had auto clutches before and like to feel your self shift under power.
My auto clutch can be revved like yours, it can catch wheelies while shifting gears and has way to much kick out because of the four stroke tourque at the bottom end.

Now get series guys, Polaris did it, kawi is going to do it, as a matter of fact within five years it's probably going to be hard to find a quad with any type of clutch.

I love a clutch, and don't want to see them go, but sorry guys we're all in for it wether we want to admit it or not!
Just like if I said five years ago that a two strokes days were numbered, I'm sure you all would have bit my head off.

In all seriousness now the auto clutch is pretty nice. It's a true lock up clutch that can be fethered, you can wind up rpm's and still dump it. I'm being for real guys!!!

Old 11-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing on my 250X [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2001, 10:13 PM
The Facility

Popping the clutch on a Foreman?!?!?!

Man, I thought I sold alot of universal joints and drive shafts before, With that concept, the drive shaft would be as big as a Jeeps!

That's why you will never see a manual clutch on a shaft drive ATV. You know all the Kawasaki Prairie 250 three wheelers you see every weekend?
Of course not, they are all in the scrap heap.

If built and geared for sole utility use, a manual clutch can be useful. Any of you guys ever ridden the Yamaha Terrapro 250 that they made in 1988? That thing would pull your house off its foundation if it had traction. Problem is they didn't last in the drivetrain department like the Kawasaki.

KNOWSALOT